Hostess linked to Tiger Woods stays silent on 'affair'

A New York nightclub hostess accused of having an affair with Tiger Woods cancelled a planned press conference amid reports she had negotiated a million dollar deal to remain silent about her alleged relationship with the champion golfer.

Rachel Uchitel had been due to speak, through lawyer Gloria Allred, to reporters following speculation the discovery of the alleged fling by Woods's wife led to last week's car crash involving the 33-year-old billionaire.

But a day after the golfer apologised for "personal sins" that had let his family down, the briefing in Los Angeles was called off just hours before it was due to start due to circumstances that were not disclosed.

A spokeswoman for Ms Allred's office said yesterday: "Due to unforeseen circumstances, Ms Uchitel has cancelled the press conference which was due to take place later today.

"There will be no further statements on the matter."

The nightclub hostess previously denied having an affair with the world's number one golfer but was widely expected to make a statement admitting she did have a relationship with him.

US reports claimed Ms Uchitel had cancelled the press conference after negotiating a million dollar payoff.

Since the alleged affair was reported in the National Enquirer, Woods has been accused of cheating on his wife with two more women.

Earlier, Swedish golfer Jesper Parnevik, who first introduced Woods to his wife Elin Nordegren, said he thought the world number one "was a better guy than he is".

Parnevik said he owed Woods's wife an apology as it was he who introduced the American to her while she was working as his au pair in 2001.

On Wednesday, the golfer himself apologised for letting his family down in a statement that alluded to "personal sins" and the forced exposure of "intimate details" of his life.

It came as US Weekly reported a Los Angeles cocktail waitress claims she had a 31-month affair with Woods.