Jade 'nursed an imaginary baby as she lay dying'

Click to follow
The Independent Online

Jade Goody nursed an imaginary baby in her arms as she lay dying, her widower said yesterday.

As the reality TV star spent her final days drifting in an out of consciousness, Jack Tweed slept on the floor in her room so he could be near her.

Her last words to him were about pineapples, which were the only food she ate in the days leading up to her death on 22 March - Mother's Day.

Tweed told OK! magazine Goody had left him nothing in her will, instead bequeathing all her money to her two sons, Bobby and Freddy.

"I never took anything from Jade and I don't want anything from her now," he said.

"I just want her. Jade asked me whether I wanted half the money from the wedding, but I said to give it to the boys because I wanted her to know they had a secure future."

Goody was completely open about wanting to use media interest in her battle with cervical cancer to make money for her sons.

She said she was determined to make sure they did not suffer the deprivation that blighted her own childhood, and is believed to have earned around £1m from television and magazine rights to her struggle with cancer, her wedding to Tweed and her sons' christening.

Tweed said his wife had left a "memory box" for Bobby, five, and Freddy, four, but he said he was not sure they fully understood what had happened to their mother.

The boys last saw her a week before she died, when Freddy picked flowers for her while Bobby lay in bed with her.

After Goody died, the boys' father Jeff Brazier took them to look at the stars and told them one was their mother looking down on them.

Recalling Goody's final days, Tweed said: "Sometimes Jade would wake up and think she was nursing a baby in her arms.

"She'd tell me to be quiet so I didn't wake the baby. I used to go along with it and pretend to take the baby and call Jackiey (Budden, Goody's mother) in and pretend to give the baby to her.

"I'd then ask Jade whether she was okay and she'd say: 'Yes that's fine, now I can sleep'."

On one occasion during her last week, Goody woke up and started singing, Tweed told OK!.

"The hardest part was seeing her suffering. I just wanted to make her better. I just want her to be here, I want to go on holiday with her and just muck about with her like we used to do," he said.

Goody's funeral on Saturday will see her body pass in a Rolls Royce hearse through the estate in Bermondsey, south London, where she grew up before making its way to St John's Church in Buckhurst Hill, Essex, where the funeral service is being held.

She will then be buried in a private family service.

Tweed said Ms Budden had been strong since her daughter's death and had made all the arrangements for the funeral.

Tweed had faced the prospect of missing the funeral as he was due to be sentenced for assaulting a taxi driver last week, and could have been jailed.

But magistrates in Harlow adjourned the hearing until 16 April following Goody's death, and Tweed said he would "just have to deal with it" if he went to prison.

He is currently free on licence from an 18-month sentence for a separate assault, and said time in jail and his wife's death had made him grow up.

"I don't want to go out and get stupidly drunk and do stupid things," he said.

"I want to be there for the boys and be a good role model for them."

* The full version of the interview appears in this week's edition of OK! magazine, on sale now.

This article is from The Belfast Telegraph