Nina Bawden, author of Carrie's War, dies, aged 87
Thursday 23 August 2012
Nina Bawden, the celebrated children's story writer, has died at the age of 87, her publisher said.
Her son, Robert Bawden, and her publisher, Virago, said the Carrie's War author died at her home in north London, surrounded by family.
One of Bawden's last books, Dear Austen, followed the Potter's Bar rail crash in 2002, which killed her husband Austen Kark. Bawden was also badly injured in the crash.
Carrie's War, published in 1973, was based on Bawden's childhood evacuation to Wales during the war. The book was a Phoenix Award winner in 1993. Playwright Sir David Hare, who portrayed Bawden in his play The Permanent Way about the privatisation of the railways, said: "Nina was an uncomplicatedly good woman, whose long fight to obtain justice for the victims of the Potters Bar crash was a model of eloquence, principle and human decency."
- 1 Tamir Rice: 12-year-old boy playing with fake gun dies after being shot by Ohio police
- 2 To help fuel their propaganda machine against the poor, our government has now decided to redefine the word 'welfare'
- 3 Bill Cosby: Isn’t it obvious why his accusers have stayed silent up until now?
- 4 Halle Berry takes ex-boyfriend Gabriel Aubry to court for allegedly trying to make daughter look less African-American
- 5 Isis propaganda image showing 'abuse of Muslim woman by soldiers' is actually taken from Hungarian porn film
Rochester by-election: Ukip gains second MP as Tory defector Mark Reckless holds seat
'Beast of Bolsover' Dennis Skinner takes Ukip MP Mark Reckless to task moments after he is sworn in
Rochester by-election: Labour MP Emily Thornberry resigns after posting white van and England flags tweet
The young are the new poor: Sharp increase in number of under-25s living in poverty, while over-65s are better off than ever
Revealed: How the world gets rich – from privatising British public services
Exclusive: UK approved £7m Israeli arms sales in six months before Gaza conflict
£30000 per annum: Recruitment Genius: Exciting career opportunity to join East...
£18000 - £28000 per annum: Recruitment Genius: An ambitious start-up company b...
VOLUNTARY ONLY - EXPENSES REIMBURSED: Reach Volunteering: Do you love the Engl...