Nina Bawden, author of Carrie's War, dies, aged 87
Thursday 23 August 2012
Nina Bawden, the celebrated children's story writer, has died at the age of 87, her publisher said.
Her son, Robert Bawden, and her publisher, Virago, said the Carrie's War author died at her home in north London, surrounded by family.
One of Bawden's last books, Dear Austen, followed the Potter's Bar rail crash in 2002, which killed her husband Austen Kark. Bawden was also badly injured in the crash.
Carrie's War, published in 1973, was based on Bawden's childhood evacuation to Wales during the war. The book was a Phoenix Award winner in 1993. Playwright Sir David Hare, who portrayed Bawden in his play The Permanent Way about the privatisation of the railways, said: "Nina was an uncomplicatedly good woman, whose long fight to obtain justice for the victims of the Potters Bar crash was a model of eloquence, principle and human decency."
- 1 James Foley 'beheaded': Isis video shows militant with British accent 'execute US journalist' – and warns Obama of more to come
- 2 ALS ice bucket challenge co-founder Corey Griffin drowns aged 27
- 3 Cilla Black defends Cliff Richard: 'I am positive that the allegations are without foundation'
- 4 Nicki Minaj finally releases predictable 'Anaconda' video
- 5 James Foley 'beheading': Met police warn public watching murder video could be criminal offence
Scottish independence: English people overwhelmingly want Scotland to stay in the UK
Isis threat: Cameron wants an alliance with Iran
Crisis? What crisis? A visiting US doctor gives the NHS a rave review
Michael Brown shooting: Chaos erupts on the streets of Ferguson after autopsy shows teenager was shot six times – twice in the head
Richard Dawkins on babies with Down Syndrome: 'Abort it and try again. It would be immoral to bring it into the world'
Scottish Independence Referendum: Salmond described as 'arrogant, ambitious and dishonest' by Scottish women
£350 - £400 per day: Orgtel: HR Analyst - Banking - Bristol - £350 - £400 per ...
£30000 - £35000 per annum + benefits: Ashdown Group: HR Manager - HR Generalis...
£350 - £400 per day: Orgtel: Business Analyst - Banking - People Change - Lond...
£48000 - £50000 per annum + car allowance + benefits: Ashdown Group: HR Shared...