Philip Seymour Hoffman died accidentally after toxic drugs mix

The 46-year-old actor was found dead in his New York home in early February

Click to follow
The Independent Online

Oscar-winning actor Philip Seymour Hoffman died accidentally after taking a toxic mix of drugs, New York City officials announced on Friday.

Hoffman died from a mix of heroin, cocaine, amphetamines and benzodiazepines, said a spokeswoman for the New York City medical examiner.

Law enforcement officials have confirmed that Hoffman was found on 2 Feb with a needle in his arm, and tests found heroin in samples from at least 50 packets in his Manhattan apartment.

Police had been investigating his death as a suspected drug overdose, but an autopsy in February was inconclusive and medical examiners said more tests were needed.

Authorities also found unused syringes, a charred spoon and various prescription medications, including a drug used to treat heroin addiction, a blood-pressure medication and a muscle relaxant in his apartment.


46-year-old Hoffman had been frank about his struggle with substance abuse.

He said on US TV in 2006 that had he used “anything I could get my hands on” before getting clean at age 22.

But he admitted last year that he had relapsed and had developed a heroin problem for which he had gone to rehab.

Police have been investigating how Hoffman obtained the heroin.

Tests on the drug found in his apartment showed that it was not cut with the dangerous additive fentanyl, a synthetic form of morphine used to intensify the high that has been linked to deaths in other states.

Additional reporting by AP