Relationships: Millionaire scientologist seeks wife – GSOH optional
Tim Walker is The Independent’s Los Angeles correspondent, covering entertainment and other concerns from the West Coast of the US. He was previously a features writer and the editor of the paper’s diary column. His first novel, Completion, is being published in January 2014.
Wednesday 05 September 2012
In the latest issue of Vanity Fair, it is alleged that the Church of Scientology held auditions for the role of wife to Tom Cruise, between his marriages to Nicole Kidman and Katie Holmes. Tom, for his part, has called the story a pack of lies, but still, the idea raises two questions:
1. How else are you supposed to find a wife if you're Tom Cruise? At a wine bar? Mysinglefriend.com?
2. How, exactly, might one "audition" to be the spouse of a global megastar? Dishwasher-emptying skills would, of course, be a must, and a tolerance for TV sports coverage or romantic comedy DVDs, and a willingness to sign a pre-nup. An aptitude for shopping and holidays ought to be complemented by coolness under the glare of the paparazzi flashbulbs. Perhaps the most important of skill would be a capacity to perform convincing public displays of affection, or "PDAs": jumping up and down on chatshow sofas, for example.
- 2 Raif Badawi, the Saudi Arabian blogger sentenced to 1,000 lashes, may now face the death penalty
- 3 PornHub turns masturbation into energy in bid to save the planet
- 4 Robert Mugabe eats a zoo for 'obscene' 91st birthday party
Michelle Rodriguez: Fast & Furious actor apologises after telling 'minorities' to stop taking on 'white' roles
Boris Nemtsov shot dead: Putin critic may have been murdered by Islamic extremists, says president-led committee
British are sexually uptight, dirty and drink too much – according to Spanish book
Raif Badawi, the Saudi Arabian blogger sentenced to 1,000 lashes, may now face the death penalty
PornHub turns masturbation into energy in bid to save the planet
New theory could prove how life began and disprove God
This is what it's like to be dead, according to a guy who died for a bit
'Cash for access' scandal: Sir Malcolm Rifkind says 'unrealistic' for MPs to live on £67,000 salary
'Jihadi John': CAGE representative storms off Sky News accusing Kay Burley of Islamophobia
Ukip would cut billions from Scottish budget to fund English tax cuts
Russia's roadmap for annexing eastern Ukraine 'leaked from Vladimir Putin's office'
Negotiable: Recruitment Genius: Have you been doing a brilliant job in an admi...
£26,498 - £31,556: Surrey County Council: We are looking for an outgoing, conf...
£50000 - £60000 per annum: Recruitment Genius: Are you an innovative, senior H...
£20000 - £22000 per annum: Recruitment Genius: Our client, a very well respect...