The grand old Duke of York... when he was up he was up...
Prince Andrew has scaled some dizzying heights in his time, even though the Duke of York's latest feat, which saw him amble down a section of The Shard, Europe's tallest building (1,016ft), failed to impress Trending's resident adventurer. Here, we chart Andy's other sky-high stunts:
1978 (4,000ft) – At 18 he completes his first parachute jump with the navy, narrowly avoiding disaster when his lines get tangled.
1982 (0-300ft) – After earning his wings, he moves on to advanced training on Sea King Helicopters with the fleet air arm. Terrifyingly for the government, his unit is part of the Falklands task force and he, and his mother, insists he be sent.
2001 (30,000ft) – After retiring from the navy with a rank of captain, Andrew is made a roving UK trade ambassador. Most of that roving is done on aeroplanes and his nickname of "randy Andy" is supplanted by another – no, not "mile-high Andy" – "air miles Andy".
2009 (1,000 ft) – The "air miles" tag fails to bring Andy down. He takes a £2,000 trip in a royal helicopter from Windsor to a golf course in Kent for a party.
From the blogs
Owen Howells is a DJ/producer who grew up in Australia but was born in the UK. He came back to the U...
Justice, the bedrock of our society is for sale under the Government’s latest plan to sell legal aid...
Take inspiration from the green-fingered brigade who have been showing off their creativity at the R...
There are more empty shops on our high streets than ever before, says another report into the state ...
- 1 Man and woman arrested on suspicion of conspiracy to murder victim of Woolwich machete attack, named as Drummer Lee Rigby
- 2 'Sickening, deluded and unforgivable': Horrific attack brings terror to London’s streets
- 3 Grace Dent: I’m not sure how these people can avoid being called ‘bigots’. And the more ‘civilised’, the worse they are
- 4 Woolwich murder: They killed, then they performed - these men should be starved of our attention
- 5 Woolwich attack: The EDL will seek to exploit this evil crime for their own evil ends
BMF is the UK’s biggest and best loved outdoor fitness classes
Find out what The Independent's resident travel expert has to say about one of the most beautiful small cities in the world
Nook is donating eReaders to volunteers at high-need schools and participating in exclusive events throughout the campaign.
Get the latest on The Evening Standard's campaign to get London's children reading.
Win anything from gadgets to five-star holidays on our competitions and offers page.