Tiger Woods apologises for 'sins'

Click to follow
The Independent Online

Golfer Tiger Woods apologised today for letting his family down in a statement that alluded to "personal sins" and the forced exposure of "intimate details" of his life.



The 33-year-old billionaire was cited yesterday for careless driving and told he must pay a fine of 164 dollars (£98.57) in relation to an accident on Friday outside his home in Florida.



Since the incident, speculation has mounted over the golfer's personal life, with tabloid allegations that he had an affair with a New York nightclub hostess.



Woods' latest statement did not comment directly on the claims, but he acknowledged: "I have let my family down and I regret those transgressions with all my heart."







Woods was left dazed, bloodied and in need of medical attention to cuts to his face after he crashed his car into a fire hydrant and tree outside his home at 2.25am (7.25am GMT) on Friday.

His wife, Elin Nordegren, 29, told police she used a golf club to smash the back windows of the SUV in a bid to get her injured husband out of the vehicle.



But since the incident there has been growing intrigue over the circumstances leading up to the accident.



It occurred within days of an article printed in the National Enquirer which claimed an involvement between the sportsman and New York nightclub hostess Rachel Uchitel.



The allegation was denied.



But today, cocktail waitress Jaimee Grubbs, 24, claimed she has been having an affair with Woods after allegedly meeting the golfer in a Las Vegas club in April 2007.



US gossip websites suggested the reports of an affair may have led to a domestic dispute between Woods and Ms Nordegren leading up to the crash.



Addressing that allegation, Woods said: "The stories in particular that physical violence played any role in the car accident were utterly false and malicious. Elin has always done more to support our family and shown more grace than anyone could possibly expect."



He also hit out at the way he has been hounded to expose "intimate details" of the couple's life together.



"Personal sins should not require press releases and problems within a family shouldn't have to mean public confessions," the statement read.



But in the mea culpa, Woods said: "I have let my family down and I regret those transgressions with all of my heart. I have not been true to my values and the behaviour my family deserves.



"I am not without faults and I am far short of perfect."



He added that he was "dealing with my behaviour and personal failings behind closed doors".



The statement concluded: "I will strive to be a better person and the husband and father that my family deserves.



"For all of those who have supported me over the years, I offer my profound apology."



Until today, Woods had been tight-lipped about both the accident and the allegations about his private life.

Comments