What Katie did next: give good divorce
It's probably fair to say that few folk outside of the Tom Cruise fan club or the Scientology Appreciation Society envied Katie Holmes her marriage. But I reckon I'm not alone in thinking that I wouldn't mind her divorce. She's managed to come out of her split with dignity, and without getting either a terrible post-divorce haircut or into bed with an ill-advised (if buff) new conquest.
She doesn't appear to have gone for Tom's throat or his bank balance, she's just slipped off to New York for a new life where taxis and commercial flights rather than chauffeur-driven limos and private jets are the norm. She hasn't taken to Twitter to make snarky jokes about small men and their anger issues and she's even gone and landed herself a zinger of a new job.
Yep, Katie is set to be the first celebrity face of Bobbi Brown, the make-up brand that prides itself on making women look great, rather than like sticky-lipped glamazons. Even its tagline, "Pretty Powerful" is an appropriate motto for the girl next door who walked out on the movie star from another planet. I don't know who Katie's manager – or, more importantly, her PR – is, but they're worth every bit of the alimony that's coming their way.
Britain's top vet sparks controversy with call for ban on slashing animals' throats in 'ritual' slaughters for halal and kosher meat products
Exclusive: Impact of immigrants on British workers ‘negligible’
Katie Hopkins continues campaign to become Britain's most hated talking head with poorly timed Bob Crow tweet
Ukraine crisis: Russia pledges to 'retaliate against sanctions' as Ukrainian president says Crimea vote will not be recognised
The quiet diplomat: Catherine Ashton - recognised and admired in all the world’s troubled countries, yet ridiculed at home
Grace Dent: Who cares if she spells it Barraco Barner? Gemma Worrall is more employable than some bookish arts graduate
- 1 Bad cattitude: Family call police after crazed and 'hostile cat with a history of violence' attacks baby before attempting to 'flee custody'
- 2 Family forced to flee home after discovering 'terrifying' nest of spiders in bananas
- 3 First Kiss: Filmmaker gets 20 strangers to make out on YouTube with awkward results
- 4 Grace Dent: Who cares if she spells it Barraco Barner? Gemma Worrall is more employable than some bookish arts graduate
- 5 Bob Crow death: 'Admired by his members, feared by employers' - Tributes pour in for RMT union leader and 'working class hero' Bob Crow