Friday 04 March 1994
Lt-Gen Laurence Craigie, aviator, died Riverside, California 27 February, aged 92. Became the United States' first military jet pilot on 2 October 1942, when he piloted the Bell XP-59A Airacomet on a secret 20-minute flight from Muroc Army Airfield, in the Mojave Desert.
Lars Gammelgaard, politician, died 11 February aged 49. Danish Fisheries Minister 1986-88. Leader until last year of the Danish Conservative Party's parliamentary group.
Latest in News
From the blogs
Thirteen-year-old Conor awakes in bed one night to discover that the yew tree outside his house has ...
SPOILERS: Do not read this if you have not seen series 5, episode 11 of ‘Made in Chelsea’ It’s hard ...
One of the questions you get asked most as a chef is 'what would your last meal be?'
Quotation of the Day, from Deborah Mattinson, boss of Britain Thinks, about focus groups' views of t...
Feat of engineering: Incredible photographs show construction beneath New York's Second Avenue
Charles Saatchi accepts caution for assault over incident in Scott’s restaurant when he put his hands on throat of wife Nigella Lawson
Special Report: US troops are stationed in Japan to protect the nation. But to sex workers in Okinawa, they bring fear, not security
Police examine photographs of Charles Saatchi with hand on Nigella Lawson's throat
Iran to send 4,000 troops to aid President Assad forces in Syria
- 1 Breaking the Silence: In the reality of occupation, there are no Palestinian civilians – only potential terrorists
- 2 Charles Saatchi accepts caution for assault over incident in Scott’s restaurant when he put his hands on throat of wife Nigella Lawson
- 3 Anatomy of a waiter: Service staff spill the secrets of their trade
- 4 Exclusive: Cristiano Ronaldo advised to stay at Real Madrid for another 18 months before making possible switch to Manchester United
- 5 Iran to send 4,000 troops to aid President Assad forces in Syria