Thursday 05 August 1993
Paul Henry, politician, died Michigan 31 July, aged 51. Was named one of the 11 'rising stars' by the National Journal in 1990. First elected to Congress in 1984, he earned increasing margins of victory in each of his runs for Congress.
Robert Glass, sound producer, died Los Angeles, aged 53. A film sound producer, he won an Oscar for his work on ET: the extraterrestrial and worked on this summer's US box-office hit The Firm.
Abram L. Sachar, historian and university president, died 24 July, aged 94. The founding president of Brandeis University, Massachusetts, he raised more than dollars 250m for the university, which opened in 1948 with 107 students and 13 faculty members and now has a student roll of nearly 4,000. Author of The Course of Our Times and A History of the Jews.
Gabdrakhman Kadyrov, motor cyclist, died 3 August. Russian rider who won the world speedway title on six occasions.
- 1 'Not suppost to cry': 9-year-old lists the worst things about being a boy
- 2 To help fuel their propaganda machine against the poor, our government has now decided to redefine the word 'welfare'
- 3 Woman opens professional cuddling shop – gets 10,000 customers in first week
- 4 Lana Del Rey rape video: Marilyn Manson denies involvement in shocking leaked footage
- 5 Kenya bus attack: Al-Shabaab militants kill 28 non-Muslims who failed to recite Koran
Rochester by-election: Ukip gains second MP as Tory defector Mark Reckless holds seat
'Beast of Bolsover' Dennis Skinner takes Ukip MP Mark Reckless to task moments after he is sworn in
Rochester by-election: Labour MP Emily Thornberry resigns after posting white van and England flags tweet
France 'blocks' Russian sailors from boarding a warship
Revealed: How the world gets rich – from privatising British public services
Myleene Klass: Ed Miliband 'strikes back' by comparing UK's need for Labour's mansion tax to Hear'Say track
£30000 per annum: Recruitment Genius: Exciting career opportunity to join East...
£18000 - £28000 per annum: Recruitment Genius: An ambitious start-up company b...
VOLUNTARY ONLY - EXPENSES REIMBURSED: Reach Volunteering: Do you love the Engl...