Obituary: Brian Redhead
Wednesday 26 January 1994
Many times last year we talked - on the phone, during a car journey, on a train, over lunch at the Garrick - about his writing. In crisp sentences, where the subordinate clause was a rarity, he had a knack of conveying the picture. Although he had previously written books in collaboration, now he envisaged something solo about growing up in the North-east, early journalism, at odds with the establishment at Cambridge, life on the Guardian, being sacked by the Manchester Evening News, television and ultimately radio where he was most at home.
He would in passing have railed against injustices. He would have deplored falling standards, particularly in newspapers. There would have been a wry smile no doubt that the reports of his death, even in his old paper, the Guardian, managed to misspell the first name of his wife Jenni. Recalling with pride his provincial newspaper training, he would have referred them for checking to his Who's Who entry.
- 1 Andreas Lubitz: Who is Germanwings co-pilot who 'locked out captain and crashed flight 9525'?
- 2 JK Rowling responds to fan tweeting she 'can't see' Dumbledore being gay
- 3 Germanwings crash: Descent may have been 'deliberate, suicidal choice' by pilot, claims experts
- 4 Germanwings plane crash live: Andreas Guenter Lubitz intentionally crashed flight 9525 into the Alps in act of mass murder and suicide – latest
- 5 Video shows what happens when lava is poured onto ice
Nigel Farage brands LGBT activists 'filth' and 'scum' and accuses them of scaring away his children after they invade his local pub
Ukip supporters are 55 or older, white and socially conservative, finds British Social Attitudes Report
JK Rowling responds to fan tweeting she 'can't see' Dumbledore being gay
Russia threatens Denmark with nuclear weapons if it tries to join Nato defence shield
Jeremy Clarkson sacked live: Alan Yentob 'wouldn't rule out' ex Top Gear host's BBC return
Vote Ukip, says far-right group Britain First
£19000 - £21000 per annum: Recruitment Genius: An excellent opportunity for a ...
£28000 - £32000 per annum: Ashdown Group: Group HR Advisor with an established...
£40 - 50k (DOE) + Bonus: Guru Careers: We are seeking a HR Manager / HR Genera...
£24000 - £28000 per annum: Recruitment Genius: This role will cover all areas ...