OBITUARY: Eddie Griffiths
Tuesday 21 November 1995
Eddie maintained that irreparable damage had been done to the steel industry from the 1950s onwards by both Conservative and Labour parties who had used it as a political football. He was also angry, like many other loyal trade-unionists, some in senior positions, at the way that the Labour government had set up the nationalised industry in 1967 and had then interfered daily in operational matters - and angry at the way that they had forced on the industry political, rather than commercially sensible, decisions.
After he ceased to be an MP, Eddie worked with me in British Steel Corporation Sheffield Division headquarters on a research project and was, also, writing a book to demonstrate the damage done to the industry by political interference.
He believed that honest criticism and debate could correct the faults in both unions and management in the industry and in the Labour Party. Was he ahead of his time or just too naive? As a Christian democrat, he should never have been wedded to that particular constituency party.
Latest in News
Royal Marine Sgt Alexander Blackman jailed for life for murder of Afghan insurgent
Ja Rule forced to deny leaving wife for prison cell mate
Nelson Mandela: 11 inspirational quotes to live your life by
Nelson Mandela: From 'terrorist' to tea with the Queen
Crash pilot who threatened Ukip leader Nigel Farage found dead
- 1 Cameron's freebie to apartheid South Africa
- 2 Is this the scariest advert ever? Japanese tyre commercial comes with its own disclaimer and health warning
- 3 Sherlock series 3: Benedict Cumberbatch and Martin Freeman provide teasers for the biggest comeback in British television
- 4 A forgotten episode in Russian history leaves links with the Philippines
- 5 People will try to reduce Mandela to a lilting reggae tune about ‘love’. They will fail
- < Previous
- Next >
£23 - £30 per hour: Morgan Hunt: A fantastic opportunity has arisen within a c...
£35000 - £40000 per annum: Morgan Hunt: Job Title - HR Manager Role type - Pe...
£23000 - £25000 per annum: Charter Selection: Leading global manufacturing com...
£185 - £250 per day: Morgan Hunt: A fantastic opportunity has arisen within a ...