Obituary: Jean-Florian Mettetal
Thursday 23 July 1992
First, he was a true radical and, avoiding conventional party politics, insisted that Aids would only be combated by fresh political debate (as well as continuing medical research). The fruits of such innovation are evident in the calibre and depth of the now highly politicised French debate about Aids. Secondly, Mettetal was committed to European unity, believing that the conventional national framework suited the professions of neither medicine nor politics. His hoped-for contribution to the development of liberal civil society in the New Europe will be much missed.
For a man driven by such courage and intelligence, Jean-Florian was an alarming romantic and Anglophile: a hero was Victor Hugo. His ashes will rest in an English churchyard.
- 1 Keira Knightley topless: Usually conservative actress does own take on #Freethenipple campaign for Interview Magazine
- 2 Oil tanker with $100 million cargo goes missing off Texas coast
- 3 George Galloway left with severe bruising after attack in Notting Hill by man 'shouting about the Holocaust'
- 4 Lady al-Qa’ida: On the trail of Dr Aafia Siddiqui, the world’s most wanted prisoner
- 5 A teacher speaks out: 'I'm effectively being forced out of a career that I wanted to love'
Robin Williams Emmys tribute led by Billy Crystal criticised for including 'racist' joke about Muslim woman
The Rotherham child abuse scandal is a tale of apologists, misogyny and double standards
What do immigrants really think of Britain? Polish immigrant's Reddit post goes viral
Scottish independence TV debate: Pumped-up Alex Salmond bounces back in bruising second round against Alistair Darling
Do you realise just how foolish the UK looks?
With Douglas Carswell joining Ukip, my party has taken another giant step forward
- < Previous
- Next >
£32000 - £40000 per annum + bonus: Ashdown Group: HR Manager (Generalist) -Old...
£45000 - £50000 per annum: Ashdown Group: Talent / Learning & Development Mana...
Up to £40,000: Ashdown Group: Standalone HR Manager role for an SME business b...
£350 - £400 per day: Orgtel: HR Analyst - Banking - Bristol - £350 - £400 per ...