Obituary: Lord Porritt
Wednesday 12 January 1994
This could usefully be put into perspective by explaining that Sir Bernard, later Lord, Freyberg, the first New Zealander to hold that post, had been born in England, emigrating to New Zealand with his family as a child of two. It was to be the country of his upbringing.
Arguably he was better known to many, if not most, of his fellow countrymen when he arrived after the war to take up that post than was Porritt when he did so later. Thousands of them had served under Freyberg in the New Zealand Division in Greece, the Middle East and Italy - a division which he had commanded as a general in the New Zealand, not British, Army. He had been a familiar figure to his troops being, par excellence, a 'front-line general'.
Englishness was not Freyberg's exclusive 'cultural baggage'. His accent was not that of the English upper class and he was not 'anglocentric'. This was illustrated by his response to General Alexander when the latter remarked as they drove past some New Zealand troops, 'Your men don't seem to salute you much, Bernard.' 'Oh, now and then they give me a wave.' Both were ex-Guardsmen.
Latest in News
Hundreds arrested as Canadian police smash worldwide paedophile ring
Ja Rule forced to deny leaving wife for prison cell mate
Nelson Mandela: 11 inspirational quotes to live your life by
More than 200 flights delayed and cancelled at Heathrow as air traffic control problem affects airports across Britain
Crash pilot who threatened Ukip leader Nigel Farage found dead
- 1 Hundreds arrested as Canadian police smash worldwide paedophile ring
- 2 Is this the scariest advert ever? Japanese tyre commercial comes with its own disclaimer and health warning
- 3 Sherlock series 3: Benedict Cumberbatch and Martin Freeman provide teasers for the biggest comeback in British television
- 4 A forgotten episode in Russian history leaves links with the Philippines
- 5 People will try to reduce Mandela to a lilting reggae tune about ‘love’. They will fail
- < Previous
- Next >
£23 - £30 per hour: Morgan Hunt: A fantastic opportunity has arisen within a c...
£35000 - £40000 per annum: Morgan Hunt: Job Title - HR Manager Role type - Pe...
£23000 - £25000 per annum: Charter Selection: Leading global manufacturing com...
£185 - £250 per day: Morgan Hunt: A fantastic opportunity has arisen within a ...