Obituary: Professor Constantine Trypanis
Monday 01 February 1993
I wish to add nothing to the warmth of Peter Levi's appreciation (obituary, 21 January) but simply to say that A Lexicon of Patristic Greek (edited by GHH Lampe, Oxford University Press, 1961-68) would be a far poorer guide to the meaning of Byzantine Greek words if Trypanis had not befriended some of us younger 'helpers', whom Lampe had invited to help him in the last (and, alas, hasty) stages of its preparation for the press.
Trypanis was a frequent visitor to the Upper Room of the New Bodleian Library, where we worked, and I think derived as much pleasure from introducing me to Romanos' hymns, as from explaining to me what they meant. I could not have had a better, or kinder tutor.
- 1 End of the licence fee: BBC to back radical overhaul of how it is funded
- 2 This restaurant has misunderstood the concept of 'cheese and biscuits'
- 3 Raif Badawi, the Saudi Arabian blogger sentenced to 1,000 lashes, may now face death penalty
- 4 Delhi bus rapist blames dead victim for attack because 'girls are responsible for rape'
- 5 PornHub turns masturbation into energy in bid to save the planet
New theory could prove how life began and disprove God
This is what it's like to be dead, according to a guy who died for a bit
End of the licence fee: BBC to back radical overhaul of how it is funded
'Jihadi John': CAGE representative storms off Sky News accusing Kay Burley of Islamophobia
Ukip would cut billions from Scottish budget to fund English tax cuts
Nearly 100,000 of Britain's poorest children go hungry after parents' benefits are cut
Negotiable: Recruitment Genius: Have you been doing a brilliant job in an admi...
£26,498 - £31,556: Surrey County Council: We are looking for an outgoing, conf...
£50000 - £60000 per annum: Recruitment Genius: Are you an innovative, senior H...
£20000 - £22000 per annum: Recruitment Genius: Our client, a very well respect...