Obituary: Professor Constantine Trypanis
Monday 01 February 1993
I wish to add nothing to the warmth of Peter Levi's appreciation (obituary, 21 January) but simply to say that A Lexicon of Patristic Greek (edited by GHH Lampe, Oxford University Press, 1961-68) would be a far poorer guide to the meaning of Byzantine Greek words if Trypanis had not befriended some of us younger 'helpers', whom Lampe had invited to help him in the last (and, alas, hasty) stages of its preparation for the press.
Trypanis was a frequent visitor to the Upper Room of the New Bodleian Library, where we worked, and I think derived as much pleasure from introducing me to Romanos' hymns, as from explaining to me what they meant. I could not have had a better, or kinder tutor.
- 1 Woman falls to her death as she celebrates marriage proposal at the edge of Ibiza cliff
- 2 Venezuela Expo Tattoo 2015: Extreme body art from 'Vampire Woman' to 109mm earlobes
- 3 Saudi preacher who 'raped and tortured' his five -year-old daughter to death is released after paying 'blood money'
- 4 Dad attempts revenge on teenage daughter, plan backfires spectacularly
- 5 Ball pool for adults opens in London
9 reasons Greece's experiment with the radical left is doomed to failure
Have we reached 'peak food'? Shortages loom as global production rates slow
Greece elections: Syriza and EU on collision course after election win for left-wing party
British grandmother Lindsay Sandiford faces execution by firing squad in Indonesia
Liberal Democrat minister defends comments suggesting immigration causes pub closures
King Abdullah dead: We can't afford not to hold Saudi Arabia's royals to account
Negotiable: Recruitment Genius: One of the world's leading suppliers and manuf...
£6240 per annum: Recruitment Genius: Apprentices are required to join a privat...
£40000 per annum: Sauce Recruitment: This is an exciting opportunity for a HR...
£35000 - £40000 per annum: Ashdown Group: A well-established organisation oper...