Obituary: Professor Sir Austin Robinson
When OCI was 30 years old, and he was 92, he asked me if the gap between rich and poor countries was now wider than it was when ODI started. He knew the answer perfectly well, but he wanted to ensure that ODI did not lose sight of the bigger picture. The subsequent research, to which he contributed, showed that a number of previously poor countries were attaining middle-income status and revealed a number of newcomers among the poorest. Between these very poor countries and the richer OECD countries, the income gap had been widening remorselessly. Robinson saw these countries as the priority concern of development economics. His own perspectives remained challenging to the end.
From the blogs
Cask ale brewers don’t come much bigger than Marston’s. In fact the brewery, which also owns thousan...
Nadine Dorries talks freely about many things, but not whether she was paid to go on I'm a Cleberity...
Thirteen-year-old Conor awakes in bed one night to discover that the yew tree outside his house has ...
It’s hard not to feel sorry for doe-eyed Andy. He spends months pining after Louise, has huge nostr...
Feat of engineering: Incredible photographs show construction beneath New York's Second Avenue
Charles Saatchi accepts police caution for assault after trying to dismiss Nigella Lawson row as 'playful tiff'
Brazil kicks off: World Cup excess draws hundreds of thousands to street protests
Google, BT and Yahoo! agree plan to tackle child porn
Exposed: Edward Erin, the doctor whose faked asthma drug test results proved fatal
- 1 Breaking the Silence: In the reality of occupation, there are no Palestinian civilians – only potential terrorists
- 2 Special Report: US troops are stationed in Japan to protect the nation. But to sex workers in Okinawa, they bring fear, not security
- 3 Should we intervene? Our response to the Charles Saatchi and Nigella Lawson assault is shocking too
- 4 Exclusive: Cristiano Ronaldo advised to stay at Real Madrid for further 18 months before making possible switch to Manchester United
- 5 Iran to send 4,000 troops to aid President Assad forces in Syria