Obituary: Professor Sir Austin Robinson
Thursday 17 June 1993
When OCI was 30 years old, and he was 92, he asked me if the gap between rich and poor countries was now wider than it was when ODI started. He knew the answer perfectly well, but he wanted to ensure that ODI did not lose sight of the bigger picture. The subsequent research, to which he contributed, showed that a number of previously poor countries were attaining middle-income status and revealed a number of newcomers among the poorest. Between these very poor countries and the richer OECD countries, the income gap had been widening remorselessly. Robinson saw these countries as the priority concern of development economics. His own perspectives remained challenging to the end.
X Factor judge will appear in court later this month
The Google future, including microphones in every ceiling and data sent directly to your brain
Latest in News
Guide dog mauled while helping owner deliver Christmas cards
Gurdwaras-turned-food banks: Sikh temples are catering for rise in Britain’s hungry
The poorest pay the price for austerity: Workers face biggest fall in living standards since Victorian era
N Korea confirms removal of Kim Jong-un’s 'depraved' uncle Jang Song Thaek
10 stone five-year-old taken into care
- 1 Gurdwaras-turned-food banks: Sikh temples are catering for rise in Britain’s hungry
- 2 Council bans use of word ‘Commie’ – but ‘fascist’ and ‘Nazi’ are fine
- 3 The man who made Femen: New film outs Victor Svyatski as the mastermind behind the protest group and its breast-baring stunts
- 4 The poorest pay the price for austerity: Workers face biggest fall in living standards since Victorian era
- 5 'I'm experiencing austerity as well', says Princess Michael of Kent
- < Previous
- Next >
£23 - £30 per hour: Morgan Hunt: A fantastic opportunity has arisen within a c...
£35000 - £40000 per annum: Morgan Hunt: Job Title - HR Manager Role type - Pe...
£23000 - £25000 per annum: Charter Selection: Leading global manufacturing com...
£185 - £250 per day: Morgan Hunt: A fantastic opportunity has arisen within a ...