Obituary: Robert Legget

Robert Ferguson Legget, engineer, geologist and historian: born 1904; Order of Canada 1967; Hon FRSE 1983; married Mary Free (died 1984; one son); died Ottawa 17 April 1994.

FEW PEOPLE make an impact on their profession and personal relationships as deep and lasting as that made by Robert Legget. He was an outstanding practitioner and teacher of engineering, a dedicated servant of the public and an enthusiastic author and historian.

Legget was born in Liverpool in 1904 of Scottish parentage. After graduating in Civil Engineering from Liverpool University in 1925, he worked for a firm of Consulting Engineers in London and on the Lochaber Water Power Scheme in Scotland. He moved to Canada in 1929, to take up a position with the Power Corporation of Canada and, subsequently, with the Canadian Sheet Piling Company.

During this period, Legget was actively developing his interests in geology and soils. Ten years of practical experience coupled with active participation in the growing new subject of soil mechanics, gave him an appreciation of the need for engineering education and research, closely linked to practice. In 1936, he made a deliberate career change, joining the staff in Civil Engineering at Queen's University in Kingston, Ontario, and later moving to the University of Toronto, where he remained from 1938 to 1947. At these institutions he was instrumental in establishing courses in soil mechanics and in foundation engineering, among the first in Canada.

During his years as a professor, he kept in close contact with practical engineering by consulting on large-scale projects, including a study of the transportation system on the Mackenzie river. It was during this study that he became intrigued by permafrost and developed a lifelong interest in the Canadian North. Early in 1945, Dr CJ Mackenzie, President of the National Research Council, asked him to chair a committee to conduct important wartime research on tracked vehicles. After the war, the committee evolved and became a leading force in the development of geo-technical engineering in Canada. With his support, it encouraged research on soils, permafrost, peat, ice and snow. The evolution of the committee into the Canadian Geotechnical Society, with an annual meeting and a highly respected technical journal, is a tribute to his vision and enthusiasm.

In 1947, Legget was invited by the Canadian National Research Council to form and direct a Division of Building Research. He accepted the challenge, recognising that geology and soils were important factors in construction. His ability to plan and organise were soon proven. It was his conviction from the beginning that the division was to provide a research and information service to the construction industry, and he insisted that its staff keep in close contact with that industry and its problems. Within five years the division was in its own building and developing a high reputation both nationally and internationally. Drawing from his earlier experience, Legget ensured that special attention was given to problems of construction in cold weather, particularly in the Canadian North.

By the time he retired in 1969, the division had a skilled staff of 250 and extensive facilities for testing and research to respond to the needs of the construction industry in Canada. Twenty-five years later, now called the Institute for Research in Construction, it still occupies a pre-eminent position.

One of the tasks that he took on when he became the Director of the Division of Building Research, was the development of a National Building Code. At that time, only a few Canadian cities had a building code, and many of the more than 4,000 municipalities in the country had no regulations at all. With the goal defined, Legget put in place the committee structure that was to do the job. He chaired the main committee and recruited volunteer expertise from industry, universities and government to form the sub-committees charged with the various tasks. The committees produced the first National Building code in 1953 and the first National Fire Code in 1983. These codes are revised regularly and reissued every five years. Legget guided this work for 20 years, and by the time of his retirement he had met his goal. The codes had been adopted by every province and territory in the country, providing sound minimum standards for health and safety for practically all buildings constructed in these regions, a remarkable achievement in a country as large and diverse as Canada.

Legget's mastery of a subject began with a knowledge of its history. He contributed regularly to technical and other publications on topics of interest to the engineer and others. Many of these were based on serendipitous discoveries buried in old records and journals. This respect for the past is reflected in his books on railways and canals of Canada. The work that brings this out most clearly is his study of the Rideau Waterway, a canal connecting Ottawa and Kingston (205 kilometres), constructed between 1826 and 1832 by Lt-Col John By of the Royal Engineers.

Legget was the author of 12 books and the editor of several more. He recently submitted for publication the manuscript of his 13th book, the history of development on the Mackenzie river, another of his long- term interests. He wrote many papers, lectured widely and was presented with 12 honorary degrees and 15 special awards from professional and learned societies, in recognition of his achievements.

(Photograph omitted)

Start your day with The Independent, sign up for daily news emails
  • Get to the point
Latest stories from i100
Have you tried new the Independent Digital Edition apps?
Independent Dating

By clicking 'Search' you
are agreeing to our
Terms of Use.

iJobs Job Widget
iJobs People

Recruitment Genius: HR and Payroll Manager

£35000 - £38000 per annum: Recruitment Genius: This dynamic outsourced contact...

Recruitment Genius: Production & Quality Control Assistant

£19000 - £21000 per annum: Recruitment Genius: An excellent opportunity for a ...

Ashdown Group: Group HR Advisor - Kettering - £32,000

£28000 - £32000 per annum: Ashdown Group: Group HR Advisor with an established...

Guru Careers: HR Manager / HR Generalist

£40 - 50k (DOE) + Bonus: Guru Careers: We are seeking a HR Manager / HR Genera...

Day In a Page

No postcode? No vote

Floating voters

How living on a houseboat meant I didn't officially 'exist'
Louis Theroux's affable Englishman routine begins to wear thin

By Reason of Insanity

Louis Theroux's affable Englishman routine begins to wear thin
Power dressing is back – but no shoulderpads!

Power dressing is back

But banish all thoughts of Eighties shoulderpads
Spanish stone-age cave paintings 'under threat' after being re-opened to the public

Spanish stone-age cave paintings in Altamira 'under threat'

Caves were re-opened to the public
'I was the bookies’ favourite to be first to leave the Cabinet'

Vince Cable interview

'I was the bookies’ favourite to be first to leave the Cabinet'
Election 2015: How many of the Government's coalition agreement promises have been kept?

Promises, promises

But how many coalition agreement pledges have been kept?
The Gaza fisherman who built his own reef - and was shot dead there by an Israeli gunboat

The death of a Gaza fisherman

He built his own reef, and was fatally shot there by an Israeli gunboat
Saudi Arabia's airstrikes in Yemen are fuelling the Gulf's fire

Saudi airstrikes are fuelling the Gulf's fire

Arab intervention in Yemen risks entrenching Sunni-Shia divide and handing a victory to Isis, says Patrick Cockburn
Zayn Malik's departure from One Direction shows the perils of fame in the age of social media

The only direction Zayn could go

We wince at the anguish of One Direction's fans, but Malik's departure shows the perils of fame in the age of social media
Young Magician of the Year 2015: Meet the schoolgirl from Newcastle who has her heart set on being the competition's first female winner

Spells like teen spirit

A 16-year-old from Newcastle has set her heart on being the first female to win Young Magician of the Year. Jonathan Owen meets her
Jonathan Anderson: If fashion is a cycle, this young man knows just how to ride it

If fashion is a cycle, this young man knows just how to ride it

British designer Jonathan Anderson is putting his stamp on venerable house Loewe
Number plates scheme could provide a licence to offend in the land of the free

Licence to offend in the land of the free

Cash-strapped states have hit on a way of making money out of drivers that may be in collision with the First Amendment, says Rupert Cornwell
From farm to fork: Meet the Cornish fishermen, vegetable-growers and butchers causing a stir in London's top restaurants

From farm to fork in Cornwall

One man is bringing together Cornwall's most accomplished growers, fishermen and butchers with London's best chefs to put the finest, freshest produce on the plates of some of the country’s best restaurants
Robert Parker interview: The world's top wine critic on tasting 10,000 bottles a year, absurd drinking notes and New World wannabes

Robert Parker interview

The world's top wine critic on tasting 10,000 bottles a year, absurd drinking notes and New World wannabes
Don't believe the stereotype - or should you?

Don't believe the stereotype - or should you?

We exaggerate regional traits and turn them into jokes - and those on the receiving end are in on it too, says DJ Taylor