Obituary: Sir Maynard Jenour
Thursday 24 September 1992
I did some consulting work for him 20-odd years ago and he took me on to the deserted trading floor of the Cardiff Exchange. I carry the picture he gave of himself as a young man when he worked there with a 500-ton ship due in the port and arguing farthings per tons of coal to put together a cargo in time to meet the charter.
As a cricketer he was shrewd. His General Manager told me that as an apprentice he was in a team that used to travel to Monmouth to play Sir Maynard's team. Sir Maynard used to kid the lads from the works in the visiting team into a pint (or three) beforehand. It took a couple of seasons for them to notice that it took the edge off their performance.
He liked good artists in Wales. His office had a Kerryl Watts and a Ceri Richards among others and he knew why he had them.
- 1 This is what happens when you tattoo Charmander on yourself, drunk, and with no experience
- 2 BBC election debate: The one photo that summed up the whole 90-minute leaders debate
- 3 18th century sex toy found in 'toilet of sword fighting school' in Poland
- 4 The Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice trailer has leaked – watch
- 5 Rebecca Francis accuses Ricky Gervais of using 'influence' to target female hunters after receiving barrage of death threats
The only black face in the Ukip manifesto is on the page about overseas aid
Ukip is the only main political party to not address LGBT rights in its manifesto
If I’m being racially abused I don’t need a white stranger with a saviour complex to rescue me
BBC election debate: The one photo that summed up the whole 90-minute leaders debate
Religion isn't growing, it is becoming vigorous in its demise, says philosopher AC Grayling
Russian warships in English Channel 'to conduct anti-aircraft and anti-submarine military drills'
£18000 - £20000 per annum + Benefits: Ashdown Group: HR Assistant (Events busi...
Negotiable: Recruitment Genius: This privately-owned company designs and manuf...
£22000 - £25000 per annum: Recruitment Genius: An opportunity has arisen at th...
£36000 - £40000 per annum + Bonus: Ashdown Group: HR Manager (Generalist) -Old...