Obituary: Sir Maynard Jenour
Thursday 24 September 1992
I did some consulting work for him 20-odd years ago and he took me on to the deserted trading floor of the Cardiff Exchange. I carry the picture he gave of himself as a young man when he worked there with a 500-ton ship due in the port and arguing farthings per tons of coal to put together a cargo in time to meet the charter.
As a cricketer he was shrewd. His General Manager told me that as an apprentice he was in a team that used to travel to Monmouth to play Sir Maynard's team. Sir Maynard used to kid the lads from the works in the visiting team into a pint (or three) beforehand. It took a couple of seasons for them to notice that it took the edge off their performance.
He liked good artists in Wales. His office had a Kerryl Watts and a Ceri Richards among others and he knew why he had them.
- 1 BBC told new political editor must be 'impartial' with Nick Robinson reportedly stepping down
- 2 Number of young homeless people in Britain is 'more than three times the official figures'
- 3 Humans of New York image of crying gay teen receives best response yet from Ellen DeGeneres
- 4 The map showing the most dangerous tourist destinations in Europe, according to the Foreign Office
- 5 Swedish minister gives strongest case yet on why EU should stop turning away asylum seekers
More Britons believe that multiculturalism makes the country worse - not better, says poll
Nathan Collier: Montana man inspired by same-sex marriage ruling requests right to wed two wives
Greece crisis: IMF was pushed around by Angela Merkel and Nicholas Sarkozy – and now it is being humiliated
Forget little green men – aliens will look like humans, says Cambridge University evolution expert
Girl, 7, stares down hate preacher at Ohio festival with pro-LGBT rainbow flag gesture
Osborne to cap family benefits at £23,000 – announced ahead of his post-election Budget
£40000 - £50000 per annum + bonus: Ashdown Group: HR Manager - West London - £...
£17000 - £18000 per annum: Recruitment Genius: This is an exciting opportunity...
£55 - 65k (DOE) + Benefits: Guru Careers: A HR Manager / HR Business Partner i...
£23000 - £25000 per annum: Recruitment Genius: The Company's vision is to be t...