Pandora: In the blue corner...
Friday 23 April 2010
It's gloves off (or should that be on?) in the fight for Mid-Bedfordshire. The seat is currently held by Tory pin-up Nadine Dorries, who won with a sizable majority in 2005, but made few hearts bleed with her implorations that the pressure of the expenses scandal had left Commons-dwellers "suicidal".
Her Lib Dem opponent, Linda Jack, hopes to ride to victory capturing Labour's vote (her recent leaflets claim the area is unwinnable for them) and has deployed US-style viral ads calling into question Dorries' suitability. Her most recent tactic, however, appears rather less effective: delivering hand-written letters to constituents choc-a-bloc with pledges of the good she would do if elected. Unfortunately, no one knows they are from her.
"They all think it's me!" explains Dorries. "It's on blue paper and who's going to ready all the way to the end? It's a political letter. Anyway, the signature's unintelligible."
Understandably, Dorries isn't too unhappy at the thought of the free good press. "It's fine. It's not attacking, it's... stupid." Jack, alas, was unavailable to defend herself.
Missing out on Miriam
Along with every news outlet, Vogue has turned its attention to the ongoing election campaign. First up for scrutiny on the fashion bible's website are the party leaders' cufflinks (or, in Brown's case, lack thereof; but what does it mean?). Next up is a look at the wives' sartorial selections. Well, SamCam versus Sarah, that is. But what of Miriam González Durántez, above, Nick Clegg's elegant wife? Not a mention. Too bad!
* With every day of the campaign, the jokes grow feebler. At least, that can be the only explanation for this poor show on David Milliband's behalf. A mischievous bumble bee, we're told, persisted in dive-bombing the Foreign Secretary at a Labour rally in Wood Green. "It's got yellow bits, so it must be a Lib-Dem bee," joked David.
Ah yes, blame Nick.
* Brian May's opposition to fox-hunting saw him square up to the Conservatives earlier this week. Next stop: Victoria Beckham. The bushy rocker posted a recent picture of Posh Spice striding through Heathrow sporting an of-the-moment Louis Vuitton fox fun keychain, with the caption, "I might just throw up." Not planning a collaboration, then?
Madeleymakes his mark
Richard Madeley made his first appearance of the election (long overdue!) with a slot on yesterday's World At One. Those papers that had turned their fire on Nick Clegg were wrong, he raged, and had underestimated their readers. Let's hope he decides to set them right in his column in tomorrow's Express. Yesterday they ran with "Clegg's Crazy Immigration Policy." Wouldn't want to bite the hand that feeds.
- 1 Gun instructor accidentally shot dead by nine-year-old girl with Uzi gun
- 2 Miley Cyrus' homeless MTV VMAs date, Jesse Helt, is wanted by the police
- 3 Notting Hill Carnival: Woman shares selfie after being ‘punched in face for telling man to stop groping her’
- 4 Pamela Anderson rejects ice bucket challenge because of ALS experiments on animals: 'Mice had holes drilled into their skulls'
- 5 Homer Simpson has taken the ALS ice bucket challenge because of course he has
Exclusive: We share blame for creating 'jihad generation', says Muslim strategist
Robin Williams Emmys tribute led by Billy Crystal criticised for including 'racist' joke about Muslim woman
The Rotherham child abuse scandal is a tale of apologists, misogyny and double standards
Scottish independence TV debate: Pumped-up Alex Salmond bounces back in bruising second round against Alistair Darling
Do you realise just how foolish the UK looks?
Jeremy Clarkson is a cultural tumour and needs to be removed, says comedian Frankie Boyle
- < Previous
- Next >
£45000 - £50000 per annum: Ashdown Group: Talent / Learning & Development Mana...
Up to £40,000: Ashdown Group: Standalone HR Manager role for an SME business b...
£350 - £400 per day: Orgtel: HR Analyst - Banking - Bristol - £350 - £400 per ...
£30000 - £35000 per annum + benefits: Ashdown Group: HR Manager - HR Generalis...