Peaches Geldof dead: Australia’s Next Top Model judging role lined up for star following suicide of model mentor Charlotte Dawson


Peaches Geldof was in secret talks with the producers of talent show Australia’s Next Top Model for a high-profile judging role, following the tragic death of model mentor Charlotte Dawson, who took her own life in February.

The socialite, who had worked as a journalist and a presenter, was one of a number of candidates shortlisted for a role in the forthcoming ninth season of the show, the Sydney Morning Herald has confirmed.

UPDATE: Peaches Geldof's Cause Of Death Confirmed

Speaking to the Sunday Times, in an interview conducted earlier this year but published this week, Geldof revealed that she was looking forward to moving to Australia with her family for three months to work on an unnamed television project.

“I can't say what it is yet, but I'll be there for three months,” she said. “Of course [my children] will come with me because obviously I wouldn't leave them for that long.”

Geldof was in talks to join the panel as a replacement for model mentor Charlotte Dawson, who announced her decision to leave the series in January.


In February, the former model – and close friend of actor Russell Crowe – was found dead at her apartment in Sydney. The New Zealand-born star committed suicide after a long and very public battle with depression.

New Zealand-born model and TV personality Charlotte Dawson had a long history of depression

As a result, plans for the ninth season had been delayed until later in 2014 and Geldof was yet to sign a contract for the role.

Brian Walsh, the director of television at Foxtel, which produces Australia’s Next Top Model, confirmed the discussions.

“Peaches was one of a number of names suggested but we took the decision that it was too soon to make any calls,” he said. “The idea was not progressed beyond an initial stage.”

Geldof was found dead at her home in Kent by police on 7 April 2014. A post mortem carried out last week was ruled inconclusive, pending the results of further toxicology tests.

Her body has since been released back to her family as they prepare to make funeral arrangement.

“We can confirm that the body has been released to the family for funeral arrangements to be made,” a spokesman for North West Kent coroner Roger Hatch said.

Officers will continue to investigate the circumstances surrounding her death, although they are not treating it as suspicious.

They are, however, treating her passing as “sudden” and “unexplained”.