Pele leaves hospital after operation and infection

The legendary footballer is in good health having spent the past few weeks in hospital

Click to follow
The Independent Online

Pele has been discharged after spending the past few weeks in and out of hospital.

He then spoke at a press conference, where he told reporters that he was not afraid to die during his time spent in hospital.

Fans had worried for the veteran footballer’s health after he was admitted into hospital in Sao Paulo for the second time in three weeks after contracting a urinary infection stemming from an operation to remove his kidney stones last month.

Concern mounted over his condition when the 74-year-old was transferred to a “special care” unit at the Albert Einstein hospital. The hospital said he was moved from that unit on Saturday. However, last Friday he reassured fans that he was recovering via a video message, thanking the public for their concern and support.

“I want to take this opportunity to thank all of you from all around the world, who were worried about my health. Thank God I'm fine, recovered,” he said in Portuguese.

”I'm here with my family. I know that there were people from everywhere worried about me, but I want to talk even a little bit in English.

“Don't worry, thank you very much. I know everybody worries about my health but I am okay, okay?

”I invite you one more time to come to Brazil, enjoy the Olympic games, we are going to participate in the games together as a proof of my health. Thanks God and thanks everyone who always pray for me.“

The legendary footballer won the World Cup with Brazil in 1958, 1962 and 1970 and is known as the game's most prolific scorer, credited with 1,281 goals in 1,363 career matches.

Comments