Tom Jones dropped from The Voice: Singer criticises 'BBC executives' for 'sub-standard behaviour' after he's axed from fifth series

Performer has been part of the show since its launch in 2012

Click to follow
The Independent Online

Tom Jones has criticised the BBC over its decision to drop him from The Voice without “consultation or conversation of any kind”.

The veteran performer and singer, part of the reality TV show since its launch in 2012, posted on his official Facebook page he had been told by the BBC on Thursday he would not be returning to the show.

Sir Tom, 75, said he had been informed of the changed line-up only 24 hours before the official announcement.

“I was told yesterday, with no consultation or conversation of any kind, that I would not be returning,” he wrote, adding that he continued to “support and admire creative change.”

“But being informed, as a matter of duty and respect, is an important part of creative relationships. This sub-standard behaviour from the executives is very disappointing.”

Many fans of the long-running show, now in its fifth season, took to social media to complain about the decision.

Sir Tom added that he “wished the show well” and will “always admire the courage of the performers who participate in the show, as well as all the production staff who worked tirelessly to make a great family viewing experience for the audience at home.”

In response, the BBC told NewsBeat: "The final decision on the coaches line up for series five of The Voice was only taken on Wednesday and Tom's team was informed early yesterday morning.

"We then announced it to the press so that it didn't leak. This has been the same every year and no role was ever promised.”

Alongside Sir Tom’s departure, singer Rita Ora will also leave the show. They are due to be replaced by Paloma Faith and Boy George alongside returning judges Will.i.am and Ricky Wilson for the show’s airing in January 2016.

Comments