Tulisa Contostavlos to appeal against V Festival assault conviction

The singer said she was "outraged" by the guilty verdict

Former N-Dubz singer Tulisa Contostavlos has protested her innocence and vowed to launch an appeal after she was found guilty of assaulting a celebrity blogger at the V Festival.

Contostavlos, 26, said she was "outraged" after she was convicted of hitting Savvas Morgan during an altercation at the music event in Essex last year.

The ruling was made by a judge at Stratford Magistrates' Court today.

In a statement read after the verdict, Contostavlos said: "This has been a rollercoaster week for me. I never wanted any of this.

"I did not assault Vas J Morgan and I am outraged at this decision. I will be appealing it.

"There are a number of high-profile witnesses who were there and know what happened. I urge them to come forward and tell the truth at the appeal.

"I am determined to clear my name as I have already done once this week.

"I repeat - I did not assault Vas J Morgan. I am innocent."

Video: Watch Tulisa's statement after the verdict

Her assistant, Gareth Varey, was cleared of using threatening behaviour during the incident in August last year.

After being convicted of the assault, Contostavlos was ordered to pay a total of £3,020.

This consisted of a £2,700 contribution towards the cost of the prosecution, a £200 fine, £100 compensation to Mr Morgan and a £20 victim surcharge.

Morgan said after the conclusion of the case: “I'm pleased we can finally put an end to this and move on.

"It's been a difficult time for everyone involved and I'd just like to put it behind me. I've had my character questioned and now feel vindicated by the verdict."

Earlier this week, a trial against Contostavlos was thrown out at Southwark Crown Court after the judge said there were "strong grounds to believe" that undercover reporter Mazher Mahmood - known as the "fake sheikh" - had "lied" at an earlier hearing.

Contostavlos had vehemently denied brokering a drugs deal, which had been reported in The Sun on Sunday last year.

Mahmood has been suspended by the paper pending an internal investigation.

Additional reporting by Press Association