Police guard `road rage' victim's fiancee

Click to follow
Tracie Andrews, the fiancee of the alleged "road-rage" murder victim Lee Harvey who was arrested in connection with his death over the weekend, remained in hospital under police guard last night after doctors said she was too ill to be interviewed.

Ms Andrews, 27, was admitted to hospital last Wednesday after reportedly overdosing on sleeping tablets and tranquillisers. Police yesterday declined to name the woman they had arrested, but sources close to the inquiry confirmed that it was Ms Andrews, and that it could be a week before she would be well enough to be interrogated.

Mr Harvey, 25, had his throat slashed and was stabbed more than 15 times in an isolated country lane near his home in the Worcestershire village of Alvechurch a week ago. The only witness was Ms Andrews, who told police the attack happened after the couple's white Ford Escort Turbo overtook another car on Sunday night. She said a passenger in the mysterious Ford Sierra had left his car and attacked Mr Harvey in the road after an argument with the pursuing driver.

During an emotional press conference last week, she broke down in tears and was comforted by Mr Harvey's parents as she told how the fat man with "staring eyes" calmly walked away after the attack, leaving her cradling her dying boyfriend on the deserted lane.

At a press conference yesterday Detective Superintendent Ian Johnston, leading the murder inquiry, said: "We wish to confirm that yesterday a 27-year-old woman was arrested in connection with the murder of Lee Harvey. In accordance with our duty of care, she was examined by a police surgeon and taken to hospital. We have not and will not confirm the identity of that person."

Mr Johnston said inquiries were still continuing and appealed to anyone who had spotted Mr Harvey's car or any other vehicle travelling between the Marlbrook public house in Bromsgrove, where the couple had spent last Sunday evening, and the scene of the murder to come forward.

He said that searches were still continuing around the murder scene but he was not aware of any important finds. Asked if he was still looking for anyone else in connection with the murder, Mr Johnston repeated his appeal for anyone who spotted the white Escort or any other vehicle on the alleged route to come forward.