Prize butcher linked to food poisoning
Monday 25 November 1996
At least five of those being treated at hospitals in Lanarkshire attended a special lunch for the elderly organised by Wishaw Old Parish Church on 17 November.
The lunch included steak pie bought from John Barr & Son in Wishaw, a butcher awarded the title Scottish Butcher of the Year in September and used by the church for many years.
Public health experts have blamed the outbreak on the bacteria E.coli 0157, which they have linked to cold and cooked meats prepared Mr Barr's butchers.
Mr Barr, 51, from Wishaw, insisted there was no definite connection between his meat and the outbreak and said he would continue to sell raw meat which he stressed was perfectly safe.
Cameron's freebie to apartheid South Africa
Nelson Mandela: 11 inspirational quotes to live your life by
Nelson Mandela: From 'terrorist' to tea with the Queen
UK weather: People urged to remain vigilant as high tides and strong winds continue through the night
Nelson Mandela death: his life in pictures
- 1 Cameron's freebie to apartheid South Africa
- 2 Is this the scariest advert ever? Japanese tyre commercial comes with its own disclaimer and health warning
- 3 A forgotten episode in Russian history leaves links with the Philippines
- 4 Australian ultra-nationalist politician Stephanie Banister in car crash immigration TV interview
- 5 Nelson Mandela: From 'terrorist' to tea with the Queen
- < Previous
- Next >
£31000 - £43000 per annum: Capita Education Resourcing Permanent Team: This se...
£27000 - £45000 per annum: Capita Education Resourcing Permanent Team: Lambeth...
£22000 - £38000 per annum: Capita Education Resourcing Permanent Team: This se...
£22000 - £37000 per annum: Capita Education Resourcing Permanent Team: This se...