Prize butcher linked to food poisoning

Twenty-five people aged from two to 90 have been admitted to hospital after an outbreak of food poisoning in Scotland linked to meat from an award-winning butcher.

At least five of those being treated at hospitals in Lanarkshire attended a special lunch for the elderly organised by Wishaw Old Parish Church on 17 November.

The lunch included steak pie bought from John Barr & Son in Wishaw, a butcher awarded the title Scottish Butcher of the Year in September and used by the church for many years.

Public health experts have blamed the outbreak on the bacteria E.coli 0157, which they have linked to cold and cooked meats prepared Mr Barr's butchers.

Mr Barr, 51, from Wishaw, insisted there was no definite connection between his meat and the outbreak and said he would continue to sell raw meat which he stressed was perfectly safe.