Redwood plea draws Tory fire
Tuesday 24 December 1996
A senior government source accused Mr Redwood of "cheek" for alleging that highly placed sources were to blame for party divisions. "This chap has done more to divide the party than the rest of us put together," the source said. "The most helpful thing he could do is shut up for Christmas."
Mr Redwood, who last year resigned from the Cabinet to stand against John Major for the Tory leadership, said: "Unity, unity, should be the Conservative cry this Christmas. We need a Christmas truce, which extends through the new year and to the election."
He said the party needed to remember that there were more things that united its members than divided them.
- 1 Katie Hopkins attacked me on Twitter — so I reported her to the police for inciting racial hatred
- 2 Google April Fools': company unveils backwards search engine and huggable digital assistant
- 3 I might be an MP, but that doesn't stop me fighting sexism with my breasts
- 4 April Fools' Day 2015: The best hoax news stories from around the internet
- 5 Gamers confess the worst things they've done in The Sims
Katie Hopkins attacked me on Twitter — so I reported her to the police for inciting racial hatred
Street preacher quoting from the Bible fined for calling homosexuality an 'abomination'
Woman filmed launching racist tirade against men on the Tube for speaking in 'own lingo'
David Cameron calls Labour 'hopeless, sneering socialists' while announcing 7-day NHS plans
Revealed: Putin's army of pro-Kremlin bloggers
Katie Hopkins reported to the police for race hatred by Labour MP Simon Danczuk after tweet about Pakistani men
£18000 - £22000 per annum: Recruitment Genius: This is an exciting opportunity...
£30000 - £35000 per annum: Recruitment Genius: Working closely with the market...
£20000 - £50000 per annum: Recruitment Genius: A reputable company, famed for ...
Negotiable: Ashdown Group: The Ashdown Group has been engaged by a highly resp...