Euro space lab to launch 15 years late
Sunday 02 December 2007
Europe's Columbus space laboratory will finally be launched on a flight to the International Space Station on Thursday, 15 years late. Scientists and engineers throughout Europe have been waiting for this moment since work on the 1bn module, due to go up with a crew of seven aboard the space shuttle Atlantis, began in 1982.
The 17-nation European Space Agency originally signed up for Nasa's space station project with the aim of launching Columbus in 1992, to celebrate the 500th anniversary of the great navigator's voyage to the New World.
The laboratory will allow experiments to be conducted on the behaviour of weightless liquids, and onmicro-organisms, cells and tissues.
tvSteven Moffat reveals the actor was dying to take on the role of the Time Lord and says he is excited to see what he will do with the character
The ten coldest places on Earth
Sir Ian McKellen hits back at Damian Lewis' 'fruity actor' claims
Uruguay becomes first country to legalise marijuana trade
Kenyan politician Mike Sonko left red-faced after photoshopping himself next to Nelson Mandela
Nelson Mandela memorial: Cheers, jeers and a masterclass from Barack Obama that stole the show
- 1 Mountain goats' miraculous escape from avalanche captured in dramatic video footage
- 2 It’s shameful that our universities have accepted gender segregation under pressure from the most oppressive religious fanatics
- 3 Sir Ian McKellen hits back at Damian Lewis' 'fruity actor' claims
- 4 Kenyan politician Mike Sonko left red-faced after photoshopping himself next to Nelson Mandela
- 5 Selfie at funeral: Cameron squeezes in on Obama snap at Mandela memorial
- < Previous
- Next >
£21000 - £27000 per annum + Benefits: Corporate Traveller: We're looking for t...
£39000 - £43000 per annum: Pro-Recruitment Group: A well-renowned London based...
£450 - £535 per day: PCR Recruitment Limited: Android Developer - West London ...
£25000 Per Annum: Clearwater People Solutions Ltd: Our client are currently se...