Honour for Giffords on shuttle flight
Friday 21 September 2012
The space shuttle Endeavour will honour the former US Congresswoman Gabrielle Giffords with a flyover of her Arizona home town on its way to the museum in California where it will be displayed.
The flyover was requested by Ms Giffords' husband, the retired astronaut Mark Kelly, who was the last person to fly the shuttle.
Ms Giffords resigned from Congress this year to focus on her recovery from a shooting attack last year in which six people were killed.
Endeavour left Houston yesterday morning, bolted to the top of a Boeing 747. This is the last such flight as the US ends the shuttle programme in favour of other space exploration efforts.
- 1 Russell Brand says he will 'probably' give up acting to focus on his revolution
- 2 Watch what happened when food critics were unknowingly served McDonald's
- 3 David Beckham's Haig Club whisky is exactly what’s wrong with the Highlands
- 4 Queen's first tweet: Reply telling Her Majesty to 'f*** off' broadcast on BBC News
- 5 #AskNigelFarage: Twitter starts hilarious Q&A for Ukip leader
Of course, teenage girls need role models – but not like beauty vlogger Zoella
Support for EU membership 'at highest level since 1991' with most Brits wanting to stay 'in'
Tony Blair 'says Ed Miliband will lose 2015 general election'
Thousands with degenerative conditions classified as 'fit to work in future' – despite no possibility of improvement
Putin: The US is to blame for almost all the world's major conflicts
Attacks on 'Ukip Calypso' show how skewed people’s priorities are
£110 - £200 per day: Randstad Education Leeds: Secondary Maths Teacher for spe...
£40000 - £50000 Per Annum Excellent benefits: Clearwater People Solutions Ltd:...
£30000 - £35000 Per Annum Excellent benefits: Clearwater People Solutions Ltd:...
£35000 - £40000 Per Annum Excellent benefits: Clearwater People Solutions Ltd:...