Hubble finds 'gems' in sky
The Hubble Space Telescope has captured the most detailed image yet of two clusters of stars that have been likened to sparkling gems in the southern sky.
The images show the points of light that form the "open star" clusters NGC 265 and NGC 290 in a region of the universe called the Small Magellanic Cloud.
Open clusters such as these are loosely arranged and consist of relatively young stars, and were born from the same cloud of interstellar gas.
The relatively weak gravitational attraction of an open cluster means the stars will move apart over the course of a few hundred million years.
More tightly-bound "globular" clusters, meanwhile, stay together for much longer periods, perhaps many billions of years.
"Open star clusters make excellent astronomical laboratories," said a spokesman for the European Space Agency, which helps to run the Hubble telescope.
The Small Magellanic Cloud, named after the 16th- century Portuguese seafarer Ferdinand Magellan, is the smaller of two companion dwarf galaxies to the Milky Way and can be seen from the southern hemisphere. The open star clusters are about 200,000 light years away and roughly 65 light years across.
Feat of engineering: Incredible photographs show construction beneath New York's Second Avenue
Charles Saatchi accepts police caution for assault after trying to dismiss Nigella Lawson row as 'playful tiff'
Google, BT and Yahoo! agree plan to tackle child porn
Exposed: Edward Erin, the doctor whose faked asthma drug test results proved fatal
Charles Saatchi: Taking caution for holding Nigella Lawson's throat was 'better than it hanging over all of us'
- 1 Freedom fighters? Cannibals? The truth about Syria’s rebels
- 2 Breaking the Silence: In the reality of occupation, there are no Palestinian civilians – only potential terrorists
- 3 Special Report: US troops are stationed in Japan to protect the nation. But to sex workers in Okinawa, they bring fear, not security
- 4 Vice pulls 'breathtakingly tasteless' fashion shoot glorifying the suicides of famous female authors from Sylvia Plath to Virginia Woolf
- 5 Iran to send 4,000 troops to aid President Assad forces in Syria
Negotiable Depending on Experience: The Green Recruitment Company: The Green R...
£25000 - £30000 Per Annum: The Green Recruitment Company: The Green Recruitmen...
Negotiable: Progressive Recruitment: Dear Sumadhab, A growing engineering comp...
Negotiable: Randstad Education Ilford: We are currently recruiting for a Year ...