Jodrell Bank plans giant telescope
Monday 04 April 2011
The Jodrell Bank Observatory in Cheshire will be the headquarters for a £1.3bn project to build the world's biggest radio telescope.
The Square Kilometre Array (SKA) will give 50 times the sensitivity and 10,000 times the survey speed of the best current-day telescopes. It will eventually be located in either Australia, New Zealand or southern Africa.
It will supersede the existing SKA Programme Development Office (SPDO) at the University of Manchester. The move to Jodrell Bank is scheduled for 1 January next year. With thousands of receptors extending out to distances of 1,864 miles from the centre of the telescope, the SKA will address unanswered questions about the universe, including how the first stars and galaxies formed after the Big Bang, and the nature of gravity.
Cameron's freebie to apartheid South Africa
Nelson Mandela: 11 inspirational quotes to live your life by
Nelson Mandela: From 'terrorist' to tea with the Queen
UK weather: People urged to remain vigilant as high tides and strong winds continue through the night
Nelson Mandela death: his life in pictures
- 1 Cameron's freebie to apartheid South Africa
- 2 Sherlock series 3: Benedict Cumberbatch and Martin Freeman provide teasers for the biggest comeback in British television
- 3 Is this the scariest advert ever? Japanese tyre commercial comes with its own disclaimer and health warning
- 4 Australian ultra-nationalist politician Stephanie Banister in car crash immigration TV interview
- 5 People will try to reduce Mandela to a lilting reggae tune about ‘love’. They will fail
- < Previous
- Next >
£31000 - £43000 per annum: Capita Education Resourcing Permanent Team: This se...
£27000 - £45000 per annum: Capita Education Resourcing Permanent Team: Lambeth...
£22000 - £38000 per annum: Capita Education Resourcing Permanent Team: This se...
£22000 - £37000 per annum: Capita Education Resourcing Permanent Team: This se...