Just thinking about treats can stop cravings
Thinking deeply about eating sweets can quell your appetite so much that you end up eating less of them.
The findings come from research that involved asking groups of volunteers to imagine eating a given number of sugar-coated sweets or cubes of cheese and then comparing how much food they actually ate after they had performed their imaginary eating.
People who imagined eating the treats for a given number of mouthfuls suppressed their appetite for them.
Carey Morewedge of Carnegie Mellon University, Pittsburgh, who led the investigation, published in the journal Science, said: "Our studies found that people who repeatedly imagined the consumption of a morsel of food ate less of that food than those who imagined consuming the food a few times or performed a similarly engaging task. We think these findings will help develop interventions to reduce cravings for unhealthy food, drugs and cigarettes."
In pictures: Saturn images from Cassini probe as it prepares to turn lens towards Earth
Serena Williams apologises after comment that rape victim 'shouldn't have put herself in that position'
FBI finds possible human remains at former home of late gangster James Burke - the man who inspired Goodfellas
'Theres something quite unpleasant going on': Nigel Farage confronted for second time on visit to Scotland
World news in pictures
- 1 Bankers could face jail after report urges the Government to introduce new criminal offence for reckless management
- 2 Breaking the Silence: In the reality of occupation, there are no Palestinian civilians – only potential terrorists
- 3 Richard Nieuwenhuizen death: Six teenagers and 50-year-old father convicted of manslaughter in shocking case of referee killed over a game of football
- 4 Exclusive: Newcastle's star talent-spotter on brink as Joe Kinnear sparks walkout
- 5 Vast methane 'plumes' seen in Arctic ocean as sea ice retreats
£500 - £600 per day: Orgtel: FX Options Front Office Java / C# Developer - Ba...
£600 - £700 per day: Orgtel: Project Manager - Front Office - Regulatory IT C...
£33000 - £35000 Per Annum: The Green Recruitment Company: The Green Recruitmen...
£21000 - £22000 per annum: Randstad Education Chelmsford: NQTs required now fo...