Tuesday 31 October 1995
A The colour of a rock depends on the minerals it contains. For example, biotite mica, hornblende and pyroxenes are dark brown, dark green or black, so a rock containing a high percentage of these minerals will appear dark or "melanocratic". "Leucocratic" rocks contain lighter-coloured minerals such as feldspar, quartz and muscovite mica. Other colours come from staining. For example, sandstones, made mainly of quartz sand grains, may be stained red by iron minerals or green by copper ones.
Q What percentage of the world's surface is water? And what percentage of this is saltwater, freshwater and frozen water?
A About 70 per cent of the Earth's surface is water. Of this 70 per cent, 98 per cent is saltwater, leaving 2 per cent as freshwater. Of the 2 per cent that is fresh, about 90 per cent is frozen. This frozen water is locked up in the Antarctic ice sheets and glaciers on the Alps.
Q What is peat?
A Peat is the name given to the layers of dead, rotting plants that accumulate in swampy places in cold and temperate regions. As these layers are buried by other material, they are compressed into solid material. Peat can be burned for fuel although it is less efficient than, say, coal because it represents a much less pure form of carbon.
Q What is the biggest island in the world?
A Greenland covers 2,175,000 sq km. Australia is bigger, but is usually regarded as a continental land mass.
Q If computers work at 66MHz, why don't we go deaf?
A Hertz are a measure of frequency, not just the pitch of a sound. When a computer operates at 66MHz, this just means that its processor checks all its other parts 66 million times per second.
Q Why do some spacecraft go round different planets to get to their destination faster?
A The technique used here is called a gravity assist, or sling shot. The gravitational field around the planets is used to change the spacecraft's velocity without using fuel. As the craft approaches the planet, it is pulled in towards the planet - speeding it up. This is exactly the same as spinning a conker round on a piece of string. As you shorten the piece of string, the conker goes round faster and faster. It's the same with the spacecraft, but because the spacecraft is not attached to the planet it can fly off, once it has swung past, with its extra speed.
Q Do people grow in space?
A In space the body does not experience the same downward pull of gravity. As a result the gaps between the vertebrae expand and astronauts do actually get slightly taller. Back on Earth, of course, gravity quickly squashes them back to normal height.
These questions and answers are provided by Science Line. You can use its Dial-A-Scientist service on 0345 600 444.
- 1 The difference between a psychopath and a sociopath
- 2 It won’t work, Jeremy: The Health Secretary has lost the confidence of the medical profession in his attempt to reform the NHS
- 3 Kim Jong-un awarded global statesmanship prize by Indonesia
- 4 Dutch King Willem-Alexander declares the end of the welfare state
- 5 Robert Mugabe eats a zoo for 'obscene' 91st birthday party
Nasa discovers yet another rocky exoplanet, and it's only 21 light years away
Labour rallies behind Flint as deputy leader to offset a Corbyn win
Kim Jong-un awarded global statesmanship prize by Indonesia
Dutch King Willem-Alexander declares the end of the welfare state
Calais crisis: Migrants that have made it to the UK reveal how Britain has matched their expectations
Yvette Cooper: Our choice is years of Tory rule under Jeremy Corbyn – or a return to a Labour government
Is Britain really full up? Are migrants taking our jobs? Leading academic answers the most common anti-immigration claims
Calais Migrant Crisis: Deputy Mayor of Calais labels Cameron's use of 'swarm' as 'racist' and 'ignorant'
Labour leadership: New poll shows party is now even 'less electable' than under Ed Miliband
While we fixate on Calais, the Home Office is quietly deporting dozens of migrants on 'ghost flights'
Calais crisis: The seven claims made about the migrants - and the reality
£17000 per annum: Recruitment Genius: They are a leading company in the field ...
£30000 - £35000 per annum: Recruitment Genius: This is an exciting opportunity...
£26041 - £34876 per annum: Recruitment Genius: There has never been a more exc...
£14000 - £17000 per annum: Recruitment Genius: The fastest growing travel comp...