The spreading virus
Tuesday 18 October 2005
* 21 May 1997: Lethal flu virus H5N1 isolated from human patient in Hong Kong. Six people in close contact with poultry die. Hong Kong's chicken population culled.
* February 2003: Virus kills person in Hong Kong.
* December 2003: South Korea's first outbreak.
* January 2004: Outbreaks in China and Japan; eight die in Thailand and Vietnam. WHO starts developing vaccine candidates in US and UK.
* March 2004: Virus widespread among bird flocks in Asia. More human deaths in Vietnam and Thailand.
* August 2004: 100 million chickens culled. Chinese report avian flu in pigs.
* Nov 2004: WHO warns of pandemic that could kill millions of people, and "much of the world is unprepared".
* December 2004: Year's death toll is 32.
* February 2005: 12 more deaths in Vietnam; flu spreads to Cambodia.
* May 2005: WHO reports 53 deaths in Vietnam, Cambodia and Thailand since January 2004.
* October 2005: Cases in Romania, Turkey, Greece and Russia. Mass culling. * 16 October 2005: Sir Liam Donaldson, chief medical officer, says deadly outbreak of avian flu would come when strain mutated with human flu. It would probably kill 50,000 in the UK, but epicentre likely to be East Asia.
* 17 October 2005: Greece reports first case in poultry.
- 1 Tunisia hotel attack: Locals form 'human shield' to protect hotel from gunman Seifeddine Rezgui
- 2 Optical illusion turns blue demon into brunette
- 3 German ethics council calls for incest between siblings to be legalised by Government
- 4 Saudi Prince Alwaleed bin Talal to donate entire $32bn fortune to charity
- 5 Mystery sea creature - with 'fur' and 'a beak' - washes up on remote Russian beach, baffling scientists
The map showing the most dangerous tourist destinations in Europe, according to the Foreign Office
Ben Affleck and Jennifer Garner divorce: Memorable quotes from one of Hollywood's most scrutinised couples
German ethics council calls for incest between siblings to be legalised by Government
Saudi Prince Alwaleed bin Talal to donate entire $32bn fortune to charity
Forget little green men – aliens will look like humans, says Cambridge University evolution expert
The moment a Queen's Guard soldier lost it and drew his gun at annoying tourist
Greece crisis: IMF was pushed around by Angela Merkel and Nicholas Sarkozy – and now it is being humiliated
Greece crisis: The wider lesson is that it’s time to abandon this failed experiment in currencies
'I wish the BBC would stop calling it Islamic State' – David Cameron unleashes frustration at broadcaster
They are neither a 'state' nor 'Islamic': Why we shouldn't call them Isis, Isil or IS
Girl, 7, stares down hate preacher at Ohio festival with pro-LGBT rainbow flag gesture
£27000 - £30000 per annum: Recruitment Genius: This Edinburgh city centre scho...
£12000 - £24000 per annum: Recruitment Genius: An opportunity has arisen for o...
£35000 - £60000 per annum: Recruitment Genius: This industry leader provides c...
£28000 - £30000 per annum: Recruitment Genius: A Project Coordinator is requir...