The spreading virus
Tuesday 18 October 2005
* 21 May 1997: Lethal flu virus H5N1 isolated from human patient in Hong Kong. Six people in close contact with poultry die. Hong Kong's chicken population culled.
* February 2003: Virus kills person in Hong Kong.
* December 2003: South Korea's first outbreak.
* January 2004: Outbreaks in China and Japan; eight die in Thailand and Vietnam. WHO starts developing vaccine candidates in US and UK.
* March 2004: Virus widespread among bird flocks in Asia. More human deaths in Vietnam and Thailand.
* August 2004: 100 million chickens culled. Chinese report avian flu in pigs.
* Nov 2004: WHO warns of pandemic that could kill millions of people, and "much of the world is unprepared".
* December 2004: Year's death toll is 32.
* February 2005: 12 more deaths in Vietnam; flu spreads to Cambodia.
* May 2005: WHO reports 53 deaths in Vietnam, Cambodia and Thailand since January 2004.
* October 2005: Cases in Romania, Turkey, Greece and Russia. Mass culling. * 16 October 2005: Sir Liam Donaldson, chief medical officer, says deadly outbreak of avian flu would come when strain mutated with human flu. It would probably kill 50,000 in the UK, but epicentre likely to be East Asia.
* 17 October 2005: Greece reports first case in poultry.
The food poverty scandal that shames Britain: Nearly 1m people rely on handouts to eat – and benefit reforms may be to blame
US Navy christens huge $3 billion destroyer ship USS Zumwalt that appears as a fishing boat on enemy radar
Scottish independence: It is the English who should be on their knees, begging the Scots to vote ‘No’
Nigel Farage fatigue? Half of voters ‘immune’ to Ukip’s appeal
Nigel Farage: I’m taking on the status quo, and the Establishment’s fighting back
Refugee facing deportation from Sweden saved by fellow passengers refusing to let plane leave
- 1 Are you turning into your dad? The top ten signs you've embraced dad-ism revealed as survey says 38 is age men turn into their father
- 2 Overheard in Waitrose: documenting the chatter in 'Britain's poshest supermarket'
- 3 Video of British Muslims dancing to Pharrell Williams's hit Happy attacked as 'sinful'
- 4 24 people applied for the 'world's toughest job', here are their interviews
- 5 Grace Dent on TV: Game of Thrones has jumped the shark
£150.00 per week: QA Apprenticeships: This company is a company that specializ...
£153.75 per week: QA Apprenticeships: This company is an innovative outsourcin...
£150.00 per week: QA Apprenticeships: This company has been providing on site ...
£150.00 per week: QA Apprenticeships: We've been supplying best of breed peopl...