Scott overdose was not suicide

Click to follow
The Independent Online
Ronnie Scott, owner of the legendary jazz club, died after taking an "incautious overdose" of barbiturates, a coroner ruled yesterday. Dr Paul Knapman recorded a verdict of misadventure on Mr Scott, who died at the age of 69 two days before Christmas.

The inquest at Westminster coroner's court, London, heard that Mr Scott had taken three overdoses last year.

He had been unhappy about problems with his teeth and was undergoing extensive dental treatment to be able to play his saxophone again.

He argued with his daughter, Rebecca, on the night he died.

Dr Philip Hopkins said although Mr Scott could be said to have had "suicidal thoughts," he did not believe he was trying to take his life on the night he died. In communications with close friends, Mr Scott had not shown the emotions of a man "saying his final goodbye," the inquest heard. Louise Jury

Comments