Sex offender pleads for a safe home
Tuesday 08 October 1996
a safe home
A child-sex offender and his wife were yesterday at the centre of a High Court battle for the right to be housed in a "safe" area after being hounded from their home.
Jimmy Larwood, 41, was driven out of his council flat overlooking a children's playground and close to a school in North Woolwich, east London, by neighbours after being identified in a Sunday newspaper.
Ms Judith Maxwell, counsel for his wife Maureen, accused Newham borough housing officials of acting unreasonably by refusing to re-settle the couple in an area where they would not be victimised.
The couple, now homeless, were forced out of the flat soon after Larwood's release from prison where he had served four years of a six-year sentence for sexually abusing boys.
- 1 BBC told new political editor must be 'impartial' with Nick Robinson reportedly stepping down
- 2 Number of young homeless people in Britain is 'more than three times the official figures'
- 3 Humans of New York image of crying gay teen receives best response yet from Ellen DeGeneres
- 4 The map showing the most dangerous tourist destinations in Europe, according to the Foreign Office
- 5 Swedish minister gives strongest case yet on why EU should stop turning away asylum seekers
More Britons believe that multiculturalism makes the country worse - not better, says poll
Nathan Collier: Montana man inspired by same-sex marriage ruling requests right to wed two wives
Greece crisis: IMF was pushed around by Angela Merkel and Nicholas Sarkozy – and now it is being humiliated
Forget little green men – aliens will look like humans, says Cambridge University evolution expert
Girl, 7, stares down hate preacher at Ohio festival with pro-LGBT rainbow flag gesture
Osborne to cap family benefits at £23,000 – announced ahead of his post-election Budget
£7 - £10 per hour: Recruitment Genius: This care provider is looking for Home ...
£30000 - £35000 per annum: Recruitment Genius: One of the UK's leading web des...
£27000 - £35000 per annum: Recruitment Genius: A growing, successful, friendly...
£16000 - £25000 per annum: Recruitment Genius: This family owned, independent ...