Shining a light on mobile phones

Click to follow
The Independent Online
The ultimate Irish folly - a lighthouse built 30 miles inland more than 200 years ago - has been restored to boost reception for mobile telephones.

The 100ft folly, known as the Tower of Lloyd, stands near the town of Kells, County Meath, where it was built by the Marquess of Headfort in 1791. It has been rented by the local council to Esat Digifone, a recently- established telecommunications company, for use as a base station - and the income has permitted a children's playground to be built at its base.

Comments