Six die in holiday fumes accident

Click to follow
The Independent Online
FOUR BRITISH holidaymakers, including a mother and two teenage daughters, have died in Tunisia after being overcome by carbon monoxide fumes.

Two Tunisian men are also said to have died in the rented villa in the Mediterranean resort of Sousse. Police did not disclose the identities of the British victims, but they were believed to be a woman in her 30s from the Tyneside area, her two daughters, and a family friend, also in her 30s. Their bodies were discovered on Wednesday.

The Foreign Office said post-mortem examinations had been carried out and carbon monoxide poisoning had been confirmed as the cause of death.

John Jeffries, British consul in Tunis, said: "Police do not suspect foul play but have said they will be prosecuting the owner of the house."

Comments