Surgeon with HIV `no risk'
Monday 04 March 1996
Professor George Browning, a leading ear specialist and the United Kingdom's first surgeon publicly known to be HIV-positive, said he was optimistic about being able to return.
"I would be delighted, not just for me but for the patients," said Prof Browning, who said his patients and colleagues supported the move.
An advisory panel was now considering his request, he told BBC Radio Scotland.
He said he had made his request on the basis that with his specialist micro-surgery - mainly carried out with a microscope - there was a very low risk of him infecting a patient, and only an "infinitesimally small" risk of him cutting himself.
He believed the panel would ultimately conclude that the risks were minimal - "and could virtually be forgotten".
Swedish stars ask fans for £195 pledges on crowd-funding website
Nelson Mandela memorial sign language interpreter was a 'fake'
The ten coldest places on Earth
Sir Ian McKellen hits back at Damian Lewis' 'fruity actor' claims
Kenyan politician Mike Sonko left red-faced after photoshopping himself next to Nelson Mandela
Nelson Mandela memorial: Cheers, jeers and a masterclass from Barack Obama that stole the show
- 1 Nelson Mandela memorial sign language interpreter was a 'fake'
- 2 It’s shameful that our universities have accepted gender segregation under pressure from the most oppressive religious fanatics
- 3 Sir Ian McKellen hits back at Damian Lewis' 'fruity actor' claims
- 4 Kenyan politician Mike Sonko left red-faced after photoshopping himself next to Nelson Mandela
- 5 Selfie at funeral: Cameron squeezes in on Obama snap at Mandela memorial
- < Previous
- Next >
£34999 - £44001 per annum + Benefits: Pro-Recruitment Group: A Top 10 Accounta...
£60000 - £80000 per annum + benefits + bonus: Harrington Starr: Product Specia...
£50000 - £60000 per annum + benefits + bonus: Harrington Starr: Business Analy...
£23500 per annum: Harrington Starr: Graduate Software Support Analyst (Compute...