Test your Euro Knowledge
Monday 14 December 1998
1. When does the euro start?
a) January 1, 1999; b) January 1, 2000; c) January 1, 2010
2. What will one euro be worth?
a) Roughly 70p; b) pounds 1; c) Roughly 20p
3. When will euro notes and coins come into circulation?
a) 2002; b) 1999; c) 2000
4. Which of the following countries is not joining the first wave?
a) UK; b) Finland; c) Spain
5. How many European Union countries are joining in the first wave?
a) Eleven - all but the UK, Denmark, Sweden and Greece; b) Nine; c) All 15
6. Who will set interest rates in countries taking part?
a) The European Central Bank; b) The Bundesbank; c) Individual central banks coordinating with each other
7. Should Britain join, will the Queen's head be permitted...
a) On euro coins but not notes? b) On euro notes and coins? c) On neither?
8. Who is president of the European Central Bank?
a) Wim Duisenberg; b) Jean-Paul Gaultier; c) Jean Claude van Damme
9. When the name for the euro was being chosen the then chancellor, Kenneth Clarke, unsuccessfully proposed which alternative?
a) The florin; b) The guinea; c) The Churchill
10. Which of the following statements is untrue?
a) Prototype euro coins proved magnetic, and clumped together; b) A prototype hologram inprint for the euro notes went missing on a flight
from Frankfurt airport; c) The first batch of euro coins minted had to be melted down because of complaints that they would confuse blind people
The correct answer is a) in every case.
- 1 Michelle Rodriguez: Fast & Furious actor apologises after telling 'minorities' to stop taking on 'white' roles
- 2 Raif Badawi, the Saudi Arabian blogger sentenced to 1,000 lashes, may now face the death penalty
- 3 PornHub turns masturbation into energy in bid to save the planet
- 4 Robert Mugabe eats a zoo for 'obscene' 91st birthday party
- 5 The remarkable archaeological underwater discovery that could open up a new chapter in the study of European and British prehistory
Michelle Rodriguez: Fast & Furious actor apologises after telling 'minorities' to stop taking on 'white' roles
British are sexually uptight, dirty and drink too much – according to Spanish book
Raif Badawi, the Saudi Arabian blogger sentenced to 1,000 lashes, may now face the death penalty
PornHub turns masturbation into energy in bid to save the planet
White and gold or blue and black – what colour is the dress? An eyewitness gives a definitive answer
New theory could prove how life began and disprove God
This is what it's like to be dead, according to a guy who died for a bit
'Jihadi John': CAGE representative storms off Sky News accusing Kay Burley of Islamophobia
Ukip would cut billions from Scottish budget to fund English tax cuts
Russia's roadmap for annexing eastern Ukraine 'leaked from Vladimir Putin's office'
Ukraine crisis: Top Chinese diplomat backs Putin and says West should 'abandon zero-sum mentality'
£9 per hour: Recruitment Genius: This role is based within a small family run ...
£28000 - £32000 per annum: Recruitment Genius: This Design and marketing agenc...
£46000 per annum: Recruitment Genius: This property investment firm are lookin...
£18000 - £35000 per annum: Recruitment Genius: This company specialises provid...