Test your Euro Knowledge
Monday 14 December 1998
1. When does the euro start?
a) January 1, 1999; b) January 1, 2000; c) January 1, 2010
2. What will one euro be worth?
a) Roughly 70p; b) pounds 1; c) Roughly 20p
3. When will euro notes and coins come into circulation?
a) 2002; b) 1999; c) 2000
4. Which of the following countries is not joining the first wave?
a) UK; b) Finland; c) Spain
5. How many European Union countries are joining in the first wave?
a) Eleven - all but the UK, Denmark, Sweden and Greece; b) Nine; c) All 15
6. Who will set interest rates in countries taking part?
a) The European Central Bank; b) The Bundesbank; c) Individual central banks coordinating with each other
7. Should Britain join, will the Queen's head be permitted...
a) On euro coins but not notes? b) On euro notes and coins? c) On neither?
8. Who is president of the European Central Bank?
a) Wim Duisenberg; b) Jean-Paul Gaultier; c) Jean Claude van Damme
9. When the name for the euro was being chosen the then chancellor, Kenneth Clarke, unsuccessfully proposed which alternative?
a) The florin; b) The guinea; c) The Churchill
10. Which of the following statements is untrue?
a) Prototype euro coins proved magnetic, and clumped together; b) A prototype hologram inprint for the euro notes went missing on a flight
from Frankfurt airport; c) The first batch of euro coins minted had to be melted down because of complaints that they would confuse blind people
The correct answer is a) in every case.
Diving in at the deep end is no excuse for shirking the style stakes
- 2 Why I'm on the brink of burning my Israeli passport
- 4 War is war: Why I stand with Israel
- 5 Blackest is the new black: Scientists have developed a material so dark that you can't see it...
Ian Thorpe gay: Olympic swimmer comes out in Parkinson interview
Stephen Fry ‘criticises Operation Yewtree in dinner party rant’ calling for tougher laws to deter false sex abuse allegations
Israel-Gaza conflict: ‘Sderot cinema’ image shows Israelis with popcorn and chairs 'cheering as missiles strike Palestinian targets'
Israel-Gaza conflict: Israeli air strike destroys home for the disabled killing two women residents
Israel-Gaza conflict: Israeli PM says conflict may 'continue for a long time' as hundreds of Palestinians flee their homes
Sustained immigration has not harmed Britons' employment, say government advisers
War is war: Why I stand with Israel
7/7 memorial defaced on anniversary of 2005 attacks with ‘Blair lied thousands died’ graffiti
Australia facing international condemnation after turning around Sri Lankans at sea
Even when it brutalises one of its own teenage citizens, America is helpless against Israel
Socialist Worker called to apologise over ‘vile’ article saying Eton schoolboy Horatio Chapple's death is ‘reason to save the polar bears’
£40000 - £45000 per annum + Benefits + Bonus: Harrington Starr: Web Developer ...
£50000 - £67000 per annum + Benefits + Bonus: Harrington Starr: C# R&D .NE...
£40000 - £50000 per annum + Benefits + Bonus: Harrington Starr: C# Developer (...
£55000 - £65000 per annum + Benefits + Bonus: Harrington Starr: C# Developer (...