TORY LEADERSHIP ELECTION: MAGIC NUMBERS HOLD KEY TO POWER
Tuesday 27 June 1995
To win on the first ballot:
John Major or John Redwood must win 165 votes (a majority of the 329 Tory MPs) and beat their rival by a margin greater than 50 (15 per cent of Tory MPs)
To ensure a second ballot:
John Major must poll fewer than 165 votes, or John Redwood must poll 140 or more (ie, he comes with 50 votes of Mr Major)
In practice, Mr Major may feel his authority has been so damaged if over 100 Tory MPs either vote against him or abstain, that he withdraws. But his campaign team says 165 votes is enough - a warning to Tory MPs hoping to deliver a shot across his bows
If there is a second ballot:
New candidates can enter the election
165 is still the magic number to win
The 15 per cent rule is dropped - margin of one vote is enough to win
- 1 Tidal launch: The most pretentious lines from Alicia Keys' valedictory speech
- 2 Britain First 'acting like Ukip henchmen' by invading meeting of activists in revenge for pub protest against Nigel Farage
- 3 Katie Hopkins attacked me on Twitter — so I reported her to the police for inciting racial hatred
- 4 Tidal: Jay Z's Spotify rival streaming service criticised for making wealthy artists even richer
- 5 Brixton squat flats now costing up to £3k per month show how out of control rent is in London
Ukip supporters are 55 or older, white and socially conservative, finds British Social Attitudes Report
Street preacher quoting from the Bible fined for calling homosexuality an 'abomination'
Woman filmed launching racist tirade against men on the Tube for speaking in 'own lingo'
The West has it totally wrong on Lee Kuan Yew
David Cameron calls Labour 'hopeless, sneering socialists' while announcing 7-day NHS plans
Revealed: Putin's army of pro-Kremlin bloggers
Negotiable: Recruitment Genius: This leading supplier of compliance software a...
£24000 - £30000 per annum: Recruitment Genius: The Associate System Engineer r...
Negotiable: Recruitment Genius: An Executive Assistant is required to join a l...
£45000 - £50000 per annum + benefits : Ashdown Group: A highly successful, glo...