Two sent for trial in Lawrence murder case
Tuesday 12 September 1995
The Lawrence family, who had fought for two years to get the case to court, accused the CPS of failing in its public duty by dropping the charges and not offering any help. The prosecuting authority's embarrassment was compounded when Ian Johnston, Assistant Commissioner of the Metropolitan Police, arrived at Belmarsh magistrates' court in south-east London yesterday to congratulate the family. "I came to wish the family well and promise them our continued support," he said.
The committal of Luke Knight, 18, and Neil Acourt, 20, after a 10-day hearing, has prompted the CPS to review the evidence. However, the Law- rence family said they did not want the authority to take over the prosecution.
In a statement Stephen's mother, Doreen, said: "We have come this far without the CPS and it is our wish now to continue to the end without their involvement."
She said that when the CPS dropped charges on the eve of a planned committal in 1993: "It was an act as hurtful and as painful in its effect as the news that Stephen had been killed.
"No family should ever have to experience the last two years of our lives. This is the worst kind of fame. We have been brought into the public spotlight, not by our own acts, but by the failure of others who were under a public duty to act. The decision of the court today stands as the first clear indictment of that failure."
Stephen Lawrence, 18, an A-level student, was fatally stabbed at a bus stop in Eltham, south-east London, in April 1993. The family's campaign to bring the alleged killers to justice began the following July, culminating in what is only the fourth private prosecution for murder in the past 130 years. It has so far cost them about half of the pounds 45,000 they have raised for the case.
Five men were originally charged. But the case against Mr Acourt's brother, Jamie, 18, was dropped during the committal proceedings and David Cooper, the stipendiary magistrate, threw out the case against David Norris, also 18. The fifth defendant, Gary Dobson, 18, has not yet faced committal proceedings and is due to appear before Greenwich magistrates later this month.
Mr Knight and Mr Acourt, both of Eltham, were released on conditional bail pending their trial at the Old Bailey.
- 1 Finland schools: Subjects scrapped and replaced with 'topics' as country reforms its education system
- 2 The West has it totally wrong on Lee Kuan Yew
- 3 Watch: Man takes selfie every mile of 2,600 mile hike, creates amazing timelapse video
- 4 #FreeTheNipple: Women in Iceland bare breasts in solidarity with trolled student
- 5 Scientists have discovered a simple way to cook rice that dramatically cuts the calories
Germanwings captain Patrick Sondenheimer tried to break into locked cockpit door 'with an axe' as plane was descending
Amanda Knox murder conviction: Italian court overturns verdict for US student and Raffaele Sollecito in the killing of Meredith Kercher
Saudi Arabia says it won't rule out building nuclear weapons
The battle for the Middle East's future begins in Yemen as Saudi Arabia jumps into the abyss
Jeremy Clarkson 'could be given minder' ahead of a potential Top Gear return
Nigel Farage brands LGBT activists 'filth' and 'scum' and accuses them of scaring away his children after they invade his local pub
Ukip supporters are 55 or older, white and socially conservative, finds British Social Attitudes Report
JK Rowling responds to fan tweeting she 'can't see' Dumbledore being gay
Russia threatens Denmark with nuclear weapons if it tries to join Nato defence shield
Jeremy Clarkson sacked live: Alan Yentob 'wouldn't rule out' ex Top Gear host's BBC return
Revealed: Putin's army of pro-Kremlin bloggers
£6 per hour: Recruitment Genius: This is an exciting opportunity to join a gro...
Negotiable: Recruitment Genius: A Service Delivery Manager is required to join...
£12000 - £24000 per annum: Recruitment Genius: A opportunity has arisen for a ...
£32000 - £38000 per annum: Ashdown Group: A successful accountancy practice in...