A little local trouble
A weekly round-up of rural rumpuses
Saturday 26 August 1995
However, the minister defended his refreshments in a letter to the village magazine: "The church exists to offer the love of God to people who are not its members. This lies behind all we attempt to do in worship, music, art and in refreshment offered to the traveller." He and his wife plan to continue the teas until October.
News of a sad freak accident, also in Scotland. At the Lairg Crofter's Show in Sutherland last Saturday, a terrier, Beenie, got in the way of a caber. Eileen MacKay, secretary of the show and the dog's co-owner, said: "The competitor tossed the caber and unfortunately it did not go the right way. Everyone scattered immediately. Beenie had been running about. We called her but she never heard and it landed right on top of her." The local vet was called but, sadly, Beenie had broken her neck. "It was a tragic end to a great day," said Mrs MacKay.
Royal Marine Sgt Alexander Blackman jailed for life for murder of Afghan insurgent
Ja Rule forced to deny leaving wife for prison cell mate
Nelson Mandela: 11 inspirational quotes to live your life by
Nelson Mandela: From 'terrorist' to tea with the Queen
Crash pilot who threatened Ukip leader Nigel Farage found dead
- 1 Cameron's freebie to apartheid South Africa
- 2 Is this the scariest advert ever? Japanese tyre commercial comes with its own disclaimer and health warning
- 3 Sherlock series 3: Benedict Cumberbatch and Martin Freeman provide teasers for the biggest comeback in British television
- 4 A forgotten episode in Russian history leaves links with the Philippines
- 5 People will try to reduce Mandela to a lilting reggae tune about ‘love’. They will fail
- < Previous
- Next >
£50000 - £70000 per annum + Benefits : Harrington Starr: Senior Automation QA ...
£30000 - £40000 per annum + Bonus and Benefits: Harrington Starr: A global Con...
£31000 - £43000 per annum: Capita Education Resourcing Permanent Team: This se...
£27000 - £45000 per annum: Capita Education Resourcing Permanent Team: Lambeth...