Armani returns with simplicity
Tuesday 01 March 1994
Yesterday in Milan, showing his latest autumn- winter, younger Emporio Armani line, he returned with a more ethnic rhythm. It was all about shapes and textures, with scant superfluous decoration. The current penchant for girlishness, which has sent some designers into a second childhood, here was grown-up and assured. Potency and energy replaced passive baby-doll prettiness.
These were peasant girls, workers, in button- through wool pinafores with servicable, sensible boots - not a sugar-sweet Mary Jane pump in sight. The pinafores became the new Emporio Armani jacket, worn over virtually everything. The silhouette was wide, full and short, a difficult and potentially unflattering shape to handle - especially in these bulky woollens and jerseys. However, Armani's is a light hand and he just managed to carry it off. The verdict: not as breathtakingly beautiful as last time, but harmonious, comfortable and kind of cute.
Cameron's freebie to apartheid South Africa
Nelson Mandela: 11 inspirational quotes to live your life by
Nelson Mandela: From 'terrorist' to tea with the Queen
UK weather: People urged to remain vigilant as high tides and strong winds continue through the night
Nelson Mandela death: his life in pictures
- 1 Cameron's freebie to apartheid South Africa
- 2 Is this the scariest advert ever? Japanese tyre commercial comes with its own disclaimer and health warning
- 3 A forgotten episode in Russian history leaves links with the Philippines
- 4 Australian ultra-nationalist politician Stephanie Banister in car crash immigration TV interview
- 5 People will try to reduce Mandela to a lilting reggae tune about ‘love’. They will fail
- < Previous
- Next >
£31000 - £43000 per annum: Capita Education Resourcing Permanent Team: This se...
£27000 - £45000 per annum: Capita Education Resourcing Permanent Team: Lambeth...
£22000 - £38000 per annum: Capita Education Resourcing Permanent Team: This se...
£22000 - £37000 per annum: Capita Education Resourcing Permanent Team: This se...