Barmaid shot in M25 raid
Saturday 02 September 1995
The inquiry follows two break-ins yesterday at public houses by three masked men. In the second raid a barmaid was shot in the leg.
Scotland Yard are investigating possible links between at least five more similar attacks on pubs around the north-west section of the M25 this summer.
In the latest incident Melanie Nurden, 20, was hurt after the gunmen forced a first-floor window at The Bell in London Colney, Hertfordshire. The burglars held Miss Nurden and Karen Cowley, the licensee, and her two daughters at gunpoint and demanded money.
They were given pounds 150 but as they asked for more, they shot Miss Nurden in the leg before fleeing. She was last night described as "stable" in hospital.
An hour before the raid on The Bell, three men in balaclavas forced a licensee to open his safe at gunpoint at a pub 20 miles away at Takeley, Essex. Police are also investigating a raid on a pub in Barnet, north London, nine days ago.
- 1 President of Argentina adopts Jewish godson to 'stop him turning into a werewolf'
- 2 The 'Black Museum': After 150 years, public set to see exhibits from police’s grisly crime museum
- 3 Stoke-on-Trent becomes first British city to be classified as 'disaster resilient' by the United Nations
- 4 Sir Winston Churchill’s family begged him not to convert to Islam, letter reveals
- 5 UK weather: 'Coldest night of the year' tonight as freezing temperatures plummet to -10C
Millions of Britons struggling to feed themselves and facing malnourishment
British actor Idris Elba cannot star as James Bond because he is black, says shock jock Rush Limbaugh
Ukip member gets into Christmas spirit with Union Flag plea to Santa 'for our country back'
Germany anti-Islam protests: 17,000 march on Dresden against 'Islamification of the West'
Nigel Farage: Ukip leader named 'Briton of the year' by The Times
Immigrants make UK racist, says Ukip councillor Trevor Shonk
£32000 - £40000 per annum: Recruitment Genius: A Business Manager is required ...
£45000 - £55000 per annum: Recruitment Genius: This is an exciting opportunity...
£20000 per annum: Recruitment Genius: Panel Wireman required for small electro...
£25000 - £27000 per annum: Recruitment Genius: An SME based in East Cheshire, ...