Bishops warn Major over IRA
Friday 24 March 1995
Officials at the Northern Ireland Office will write to Sinn Fein leaders today to seek their clear commitment to discuss decommissioning of weapons before allowing Michael Ancram, the Northern Ireland minister, to take part in the exploratory talks.
Sinn Fein, in an exchange of letters about the agenda for the talks, insisted on discussing "demilitarisation" in Ulster. The Prime Minister's office said it was unacceptable because it would put the RUC and the Army on the same moral footing as the terrorists. Despite reports that this represented a block to progress, the talks will go ahead next week.
- 1 East 17 bandmember Brian Harvey in 'very desperate situation’
- 2 Vladimir Putin says Russia will fight for the right of Palestinians to their own state
- 3 WrestleMania 31 results: Seth Rollins stuns WWE as he cashes in Money in the Bank contract to claim title from Brock Lesnar
- 4 Ohio Democrat Teresa Fedor speaks out during abortion debate to reveal she has been raped – and is interrupted by laughter from Republicans
- 5 Germanwings plane crash: I have depression. That doesn't make me a psychopath
East 17 bandmember Brian Harvey in 'very desperate situation’
Vladimir Putin says Russia will fight for the right of Palestinians to their own state
Ohio Democrat Teresa Fedor speaks out during abortion debate to reveal she has been raped – and is interrupted by laughter from Republicans
Germanwings plane crash: Investigators may have already found remains of suspected killer co-pilot Andreas Lubitz
Children take eight Isis captives to be beheaded in latest propaganda video
Ukip supporters are 55 or older, white and socially conservative, finds British Social Attitudes Report
JK Rowling responds to fan tweeting she 'can't see' Dumbledore being gay
Street preacher quoting from the Bible fined for calling homosexuality an 'abomination'
Jeremy Clarkson sacked live: Alan Yentob 'wouldn't rule out' ex Top Gear host's BBC return
Woman filmed launching racist tirade against men on the Tube for speaking in 'own lingo'
The West has it totally wrong on Lee Kuan Yew
Negotiable: Recruitment Genius: This leading provider of refrigeration, mechan...
£21000 - £25000 per annum: Recruitment Genius: A publishing company based in F...
£20000 - £35000 per annum: Recruitment Genius: This multi-award winning foreig...
£17000 - £22000 per annum: Recruitment Genius: A Graduate Structural Engineer ...