Boot sales 'attracting criminals'
There would need to be 'more lofts than people' in Britain if households were the sales' only source of goods, according to a paper from the local authorities' co-ordinating body on food and trading standards.
Most boot sales are now commercial ventures: even a small one can generate pounds 10,000 worth of business.
Among products found at sales have been dangerous appliances, unfit food, things stolen from cars and garden sheds, illegally imported duty-free goods and counterfeit toys, videos and clothes.
One council in south Wales tested 16 electrical appliances and found all were illegal.
The paper urges a requirement for traders to identify themselves and powers to seize counterfeit goods.
- 1 Sainsbury's '50p challenge' poster telling staff to encourage customers to spend more placed in shop window instead of staff room
- 2 Five-year-old Iris Grace is raising awareness of autism through her extraordinary paintings
- 3 Isis an hour away from Baghdad - with no sign of Iraq army being able to make a successful counter-attack
- 4 Yes, the iPhone 6 is a miracle, but it's Apple's tax affairs that deserve a double take
- 5 Car tax disc changes: Two days to go - and they affect you much more than just not displaying a piece of paper
Isis could become 'world’s first truly terrorist state' and bomb UK with nuclear and chemical weapons, Theresa May warns
Car tax disc changes: Five facts you never knew about your (almost obsolete) tax disc
Five-year-old Iris Grace is raising awareness of autism through her extraordinary paintings
Car tax disc changes: Two days to go - and they affect you much more than just not displaying a piece of paper
Isis an hour away from Baghdad - with no sign of Iraq army being able to make a successful counter-attack
Isis, we are told, is a 'clear and dangerous threat to our way of life'. I’m sorry, but I just don’t buy it
Exclusive: 'Putin's Russia has been my biggest regret,' says Nato's outgoing Secretary General
The Osborne Ultimatum: Chancellor’s benefits freeze bombshell will affect ten million households
There’s no excuse for Dave Lee Travis’s behaviour, but we need to keep a sense of proportion
Should gay sex be illegal? 16% of Britons think so
Mark Reckless becomes second Tory MP to defect to Ukip in a month
- < Previous
- Next >
£40000 - £50000 Per Annum Excellent benefits: Clearwater People Solutions Ltd:...
£120 - £130 per day: Randstad Education Chelmsford: We are urgently looking fo...
£120 - £130 per day: Randstad Education Chelmsford: Are you an SEN Teacher loo...
Negotiable: Randstad Education Plymouth: Randstad Education Ltd are seeking Nu...