BR orders its last 41 trains
Thursday 14 October 1993
The trains, costing pounds 150m, are being obtained as a result of a leasing deal announced last autumn. The advantage for the Government compared with conventional purchases is that only the annual leasing payments on the 12- year deal will count against its borrowing requirement.
BR has chosen to allocate the money to Network SouthEast rather than InterCity which had been hoping for new stock on the London-to- Glasgow West Coast line, but that deal had to be dropped because not enough trains could be bought for pounds 150m.
ABB, which will make the trains, said without the order the works in York would almost certainly have had to close, with the loss of 1,000 jobs. BR said about 125,000 London commuters would benefit.
The food poverty scandal that shames Britain: Nearly 1m people rely on handouts to eat – and benefit reforms may be to blame
US Navy christens huge $3 billion destroyer ship USS Zumwalt that appears as a fishing boat on enemy radar
Scottish independence: It is the English who should be on their knees, begging the Scots to vote ‘No’
Nigel Farage fatigue? Half of voters ‘immune’ to Ukip’s appeal
Nigel Farage: I’m taking on the status quo, and the Establishment’s fighting back
Refugee facing deportation from Sweden saved by fellow passengers refusing to let plane leave
- 1 Are you turning into your dad? The top ten signs you've embraced dad-ism revealed as survey says 38 is age men turn into their father
- 2 Overheard in Waitrose: documenting the chatter in 'Britain's poshest supermarket'
- 3 Video of British Muslims dancing to Pharrell Williams's hit Happy attacked as 'sinful'
- 4 24 people applied for the 'world's toughest job', here are their interviews
- 5 Grace Dent on TV: Game of Thrones has jumped the shark
£150.00 per week: QA Apprenticeships: This company is a company that specializ...
£153.75 per week: QA Apprenticeships: This company is an innovative outsourcin...
£150.00 per week: QA Apprenticeships: This company has been providing on site ...
£150.00 per week: QA Apprenticeships: We've been supplying best of breed peopl...