Branagh to close film company
Thursday 31 March 1994
The Renaissance name will be retained in case he and his co-founder, David Parfitt, decide to try to resurrect it, but for the moment there will be no more productions.
The final Renaissance production is King Lear, with Sir John Gielgud, which is already recorded and will be broadcast on BBC Radio 3 next month.
Mr Parfitt said: 'Renaissance was never permanent. When we started we only planned for an 18-month season. We have talked about various ways of continuing, even about Renaissance becoming a charitable trust, but nothing seemed to come together.'
The film company will continue to operate for the time being to deal with the income from Much Ado About Nothing and Peter's Friends.
It began in 1987 when Branagh and Parfitt amazed the entertainment establishment by starting the project when both still in their 20s.
The highlight was Branagh's film version of Henry V, in 1989.
Branagh is working on Frankenstein while Parfitt is to produce the film version of Alan Bennett's play, The Madness Of George III.
- 1 Michael Brown shooting: Amnesty International sends team within US for first time as National Guard deployed
- 2 Greggs Google fail: bakery falls afoul of search engine's algorithms with 'unofficial' logo
- 3 Is this the end of apps? New research says a third of us don't bother to download
- 4 Here’s the damning letter Robin Williams wrote to his Mrs Doubtfire co-star's principal after they expelled her
- 5 Ferguson protests: 90-year-old Holocaust survivor Hedy Epstein ‘arrested’ by police during St Louis demonstrations
Isis threat: Cameron wants an alliance with Iran
Crisis? What crisis? A visiting US doctor gives the NHS a rave review
Ukip MEP calls for reintroduction of death penalty on fiftieth anniversary of last deaths
Russell Brand calls for Israel boycott: Comedian urges big businesses that 'facilitate the oppression of people in Gaza' to pull funding
Michael Brown shooting: Chaos erupts on the streets of Ferguson after autopsy shows teenager was shot six times – twice in the head
World peace? These are the only 11 countries in the world that are actually free from conflict
£30000 - £33000 per annum + Benefits + Bonus: Harrington Starr: Junior DBA (SQ...
£60000 - £75000 per annum + BONUS + BENEFITS: Harrington Starr: Business Anal...
£60000 - £90000 per annum + Bonus: Harrington Starr: Global leading Energy Tra...
£40000 - £60000 per annum + BONUS + BENEFITS: Harrington Starr: CXL, Triple Po...