Cobblers add sole to recycling campaign
Monday 25 July 1994
Independent research suggests that 1.8 million pairs of shoes are thrown away in Britain every week, costing local authorities an estimated pounds 30 a tonne to dispose of. More than 274 million pairs of shoes are bought every year in Britain, but within three years most have been discarded because of changing fashions or repairable faults.
In a six-week trial scheme carried out in six shops, Mister Minit collected 8,000 pairs of shoes.
The company's own survey shows that 92 per cent of people would use shoe banks regularly; 77 per cent of those questioned currently threw unwanted shoes into the dustbin.
Profits from the campaign will go to the Red Cross, but 32 per cent of people surveyed said their main motive for depositing shoes would be to reduce waste. Unlike paper and bottles, ready markets exist to resell the shoes in Eastern Europe and the developing world.
- 1 Jeremy Clarkson 'sees no problem' with his racist language on Top Gear, says BBC
- 2 'Alien thigh bone' on Mars: Excitement from alien hunters at 'evidence' of extraterrestrial life
- 3 Richard Dawkins on babies with Down Syndrome: 'Abort it and try again – it would be immoral to bring it into the world'
- 4 London restaurant 34 creates champagne glass modelled on Kate Moss’ left breast
- 5 ALS ice bucket challenge co-founder Corey Griffin drowns, aged 27
Richard Dawkins on babies with Down Syndrome: 'Abort it and try again – it would be immoral to bring it into the world'
Scottish independence: English people overwhelmingly want Scotland to stay in the UK
Isis threat: Cameron wants an alliance with Iran
Michael Brown shooting: Chaos erupts on the streets of Ferguson after autopsy shows teenager was shot six times – twice in the head
Disgusting, frustrating, but intriguing: how the country really feels about its politicians
Bin bag full of cats' heads discovered near Manchester's Curry Mile
£45000 - £50000 per annum + Benefits: Harrington Starr: SQL Developer (TSQL, S...
£45000 - £50000 per annum + Benefits + Bonus: Harrington Starr: Front-End UI/U...
£30000 - £40000 per annum + benefits+bonus+package: Harrington Starr: C#.NET ...