Coma girl gives birth
Sunday 27 June 1993
The 45-minute operation was carried out after the mother began to suffer contractions.
Ms Douglas, who worked as a carer in an old people's home, went into a coma after being hit by a car near her home in Castle Vale, Birmingham, in December. Doctors discovered she was pregnant only after the accident. The coma began to lift a few weeks ago and she was transferred to a rehabilitation unit at Birmingham on May 21. She was transferred to the maternity hospital on Friday.
Doctors say she is semi-conscious and was told she was expecting a baby. She can recognise familiar voices but can only communicate with facial expressions.
Dr Mike Hocking, a consultant paediatrician, said the baby was 'good-sized'.
'She is being given some oxygen, but we are not worried. It has been a very successful day for Melanie, the baby and the medical team. The baby is not feeding - but she has certainly been crying. She is a bonny baby with brown hair and blue eyes.'
The future of mother and child will be decided by their family, the health authority and social services.
And why are 'southern' ways of speaking spreading north?
life + styleClarissa Baldwin is the brains behind the slogan 'A Dog is for Life not just for Christmas'
- 1 Is this the scariest advert ever? Japanese tyre commercial comes with its own disclaimer and health warning
- 2 A forgotten episode in Russian history leaves links with the Philippines
- 3 Scientists sequence oldest human DNA from fossilised leg bone found in Spain
- 4 Cannabis can cause man boobs, US surgeon claims
- 5 Joanna Lumley’s garden bridge over the Thames gets £30m seal of approval from Government
£35000 - £38000 per annum + Benefits: Harrington Starr: VB.NET SQL CSS Develop...
£30000 - £45000 per annum + Benefits: Harrington Starr: C# .NET Server Side De...
£21000 - £25000 per annum + Benefits: Harrington Starr: Graduate QA/Graduate T...
£30000 - £35000 per annum + Benefits: Harrington Starr: PHP Developer (MySQL, ...